Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:45 am I agree that it feels like a big jump from "Harry isn't a player like Tom" to "Harry must be gay". I still don't see it. Harry just seems like a perpetually (and perhaps unrealistically) naive and inexperienced Ensign, not someone in the closet (whatever that would even mean in Voyager's time).
Welllll, you say that, but as Chuck has joked on numerous occasions the LGBT community has all but vanished in the Star Trek future. In fact being gay was treated as a sign that you were from the evil universe or that something alien was afoot. Post STD Trek is trying to retcon that in the same way that post TOS retconned no women captains, but the fact remains that regardless of whatever sexual liberation we have in the 21st century, by the 24th being in the closet seems to be the default.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm torn honestly, on being happy with LGBT inclusion, and yet furious it's coming in something as shitty that ass-rapes the continuity as STD does, and leaves the franchise with its acronym - an STD.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Bury your gays https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... ryYourGays
Star Trek: Discovery is the first television entry to have a gay couple as main characters, engineer Paul Stamets and doctor Hugh Culber.note Then Culber is killed in the eleventh episode after figuring out too much. The showrunners predicted the backlash and put out interviews with the writers and Wilson Cruz (Culber) immediately after airing attempting to assure fans that they know and hate this trope and that Culber's death is not the end, but the beginning of an "epic" love story. A version of Culber appeared in one subsequent episode of Season 1, but further exploration of his and Stamets' relationship will apparently not occur until Season 2.
Yes, there are gays in DISCOVERY, dead gays.

It's no wonder that Harry is gay, whenever he shags women Janeway damns him for violating Prime Directive. Janeway might have said you gotta be Lt Commander or above to shag the Green skinned alien space Babes, but that would have been Continuity.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... dSpaceBabe
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:57 pm I'm torn honestly, on being happy with LGBT inclusion, and yet furious it's coming in something as shitty that ass-rapes the continuity as STD does, and leaves the franchise with its acronym - an STD.
What about Sulu in Beyond?
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:36 am
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:57 pm I'm torn honestly, on being happy with LGBT inclusion, and yet furious it's coming in something as shitty that ass-rapes the continuity as STD does, and leaves the franchise with its acronym - an STD.
George Takei was NOT impressed with that as he accused the film of making Sulu gay just because he is. Which they clearly did as it is too much of a coincidence that of all characters to come out it had to be the one made famous by the most famous Trek gay actor. Moral: the LGBT community do not want to be pandered to.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hasn't Sulu had romances, IIRC?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:03 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:36 am
George Takei was NOT impressed with that as he accused the film of making Sulu gay just because he is. Which they clearly did as it is too much of a coincidence that of all characters to come out it had to be the one made famous by the most famous Trek gay actor. Moral: the LGBT community do not want to be pandered to.
I just remember him disagreeing with the decision. And I don't think he found it insulting for LGBT, just a misstep with the character.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:18 am Hasn't Sulu had romances, IIRC?
He had a daughter that was in Generations. Apparently that came about through a one-night stand.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, way to go, reboot movies, you're batting a thousand.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:18 am Hasn't Sulu had romances, IIRC?

If you consider TAS to be canon, the first thing he did when given magical powers in The Magicks of Megas-Tu was conjure himself a woman.

He was affected by Mudd's women and Ilia.

Sulu and Chekov were attracted to Vixis in The Final Frontier ("She has wonderful muscles")