Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Yukaphile »

I don't consider TAS canon. :P Though it has way more quality in one bad episode than the best STD episode.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I'm just going to point out the obvious that gay couples can have children. I know my cousin and nephew have them.

Additionally, New Sulu meets his husband and child in Star Trek Beyond on the Yorktown starbase.

But I agree, making him the gay character was against established canon and was a lazy choice (unless somehow Kirk's father had something to do with keeping Sulu straight or bi...)
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Sure. Either through het one-night stands or adoption. But not through breeding of their own. Not without serious genetic engineering into what no human being should EVER try and touch. ;)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Or Sulu found a surrogate and she was implanted via artificial insemination. That way no one night stand is required, and Sulu eventually found a husband in both timelines.

Now, LGBTQ representation in Star Trek has been lacking, but no one seemed to have a crap when Dax dated a woman in Rejoined, except that she was once married to that symbiote in a previous life.

We also have this tidbit from Rules of Acquisition:
PEL: That sounds like Quark.
DAX: I don't care what anybody says, I love him.
PEL: So do I.
DAX: You really do, don't you?
PEL: What?
DAX: Love Quark. Don't bother trying to deny it. I've seen the way you look at him.
PEL: Please, keep your voice down.
DAX: Does he know?
PEL: He doesn't even know I'm a female.
DAX: You're a woman?
PEL: Please lower your voice.
DAX: I knew there was something different about you, but I've never met a Ferengi woman before.
Dax, and presumably the rest of Starfleet and the Federation gives no craps about who you want to tango with gender wise. She's just surprised that the Ferengi in love with Quark is female.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Dax was always very bisexual and LGBT-friendly. I loved that about her.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Dax has seven lifetimes of experience. That gives you a different perspective, but I don't think she is representative of the Feds as a whole by any means.

As for Sulu, he was clearly hetero in TOS. Every ''clue'' as to him being gay only appeared after Takei came out - which was another thing he disliked as he claims to have played the character hetero, which again, you can see by the way he looks at women. Its pandering pure and simple, they thought that making the gay actor's character gay would net them back patting points and it really didn't.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Nothing will win back the old-school fans past writing to the same degree of quality they did then and not pandering to the Big Bang Theory audience. We'll only put up with this for so long, as Enterprise showed.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

His rampant capsicumlatrophobia must be stopped!
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am Nothing will win back the old-school fans past writing to the same degree of quality they did then and not pandering to the Big Bang Theory audience. We'll only put up with this for so long, as Enterprise showed.
Quality? Quality was pretty bad by today's standards minus for some high points.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am Nothing will win back the old-school fans past writing to the same degree of quality they did then and not pandering to the Big Bang Theory audience. We'll only put up with this for so long, as Enterprise showed.
Quality? Quality was pretty bad by today's standards minus for some high points.
In your opinion.