Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:47 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am Nothing will win back the old-school fans past writing to the same degree of quality they did then and not pandering to the Big Bang Theory audience. We'll only put up with this for so long, as Enterprise showed.
Quality? Quality was pretty bad by today's standards minus for some high points.
In your opinion.
It won't be hard to find a publication you read and respect that will agree with me.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:43 am
Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am Nothing will win back the old-school fans past writing to the same degree of quality they did then and not pandering to the Big Bang Theory audience. We'll only put up with this for so long, as Enterprise showed.
Quality? Quality was pretty bad by today's standards minus for some high points.
In your opinion.
It won't be hard to find a publication you read and respect that will agree with me.
Non-Star Trek related publications made by the sorts of people who don't watch Star Trek I suspect.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am
In your opinion.
Non-Star Trek related publications made by the sorts of people who don't watch Star Trek I suspect.
How did nerdy get trendy/ All off them jock journos did it?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:42 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:17 am
In your opinion.
How did nerdy get trendy/ All off them jock journos did it?
Certain types of nerdy got trendy i.e. the types with guns and explosions and tits. I've got plenty of hard science fiction books that will NEVER see the big screen exactly because of this. Actual nerdy is just as maligned as it ever was.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:50 am
Certain types of nerdy got trendy i.e. the types with guns and explosions and tits. I've got plenty of hard science fiction books that will NEVER see the big screen exactly because of this. Actual nerdy is just as maligned as it ever was.
What?

PG 13 superhero stuff and Star Wars is the best IP out there sadly. I really wish the kids would stay the fuck home and watch tv.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I don't know, I see a kind of "fuck yeah, science!" type of popular culture that seems to worship the idea of science without really seeming to understand how any of it works. Know what I mean?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 am
What?

PG 13 superhero stuff and Star Wars is the best IP out there sadly. I really wish the kids would stay the fuck home and watch tv.
In other words, guns and explosions.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I actually thought PG-13 Die Hard 4 was fine.
..What mirror universe?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I have thought of another disagreement.
TNG episode Peak Performance. Now I have pointed out the holes that Chuck did and the consensus is mostly agreed upon. Yes the crew was too smug. And Riker was wrong about tactics.
But the game Stratagema between Kilrami and Data. The first time Data played Kilrami he was forced into it by Pulaski. Pulaski who told him how to play and what to do. She didn't sit down but she sure picked everything. Then asked how Data screwed up her perfect plan.
Data's rematch was on his terms. He went in and played as Data. He sees your moves, calculates the odds, and. he does. not. get. tired.
Data played as Data and won. On his own terms. Not those dictated by the gorgon. That is laudable not wrong. And that is where I disagree with Chuck's assessment.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:01 am
What?

In other words, guns and explosions.
Lasers, no gore and splosions...

Star Trek's playground.