DS9: Business as Usual

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: DS9: Business as Usual

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 pm I've seen a gun erroneously compared to a hammer before, and it's a false equivalency. A hammer or any of those weapons cannot kill dozens or hundreds of people within minutes in a single hand.
Yes it could. Have you seen how massive Tookie Williams was?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Actually, a nuclear bomb could have a theoretical good use in the future - deflecting or mining asteroids. Just thought I'd bring that up.

@SFDebris No need to. I said what I intended to, and got a fairly good discussion going without... any excess (which I admit are a big flaw of mine). That was my point.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:25 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:33 pm Perhaps, but then the same is true for any other weapon when it's not being used. The same argument can be made for a nuclear bomb, which has no other intent but to murder millions of lives in a single blast. It's just I find Chuck making a distinction between sarin gas and a gun to be a bit of a mistaken assumption. If he wants to say a gun is neutral, then so is sarin gas. After all, it will kill man, woman, and child regardless of political or religious backgrounds, whether they've sinned or not. That's kind of fair, when you think about it. In a natural way, that is. The same way we're all equal in death, rich and poor, young and old, doesn't matter.
Perhaps you'd like to make a couple dozen threads on the subject.
:lol: That was a Burn Baby Burn worthy of a truly epic shuttle crash.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 pm I've seen a gun erroneously compared to a hammer before, and it's a false equivalency. A hammer or any of those weapons cannot kill dozens or hundreds of people within minutes in a single hand.
Murderous weapons are ok, as long as they don't kill people too fast...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And I want to retort that those dozen threads weren't a protest of SF Debris's actions, or lack of it, appearances to the contrary. They really were just an attempt to get a discussion going on said subjects, and it was people objecting to that which is ultimately why I gave up on them.

@pilight That's what machine guns do, but even then, one could argue it's a tool, and as a tool, it's always neutral. It will kill good and bad people regardless. It depends on the wielder. That's what clearspira was trying to say anyway.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

So I've watched plenty reviews for SFDebris to notice little things and I noticed the font for the 'upcoming' content was different. ... This is also where I point out I do daily TV work and teach students video editing. Small things like that I can see without even trying. I'm guessing Mira doesn't have all the old fonts.

On the review side... I personally love the B plot as you can add it to "O'Brien must suffer" list and it is light. Light is needed with a main plot like we had here. Otherwise good episode, good review, and now to skidoo.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, takes time to get used to a new computer. I think we ALL know that. Especially harder for content creators like he is. Give it time.

Yeah, it was a good review - which I want to say in response to the above, to hopefully change the perception as if I somehow hate the show. I don't, or I wouldn't be here now, would I?

If I actually had to rate the review, I'd rate it a 7.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Unless I missed a lot, I think Quark was given the short end of the stick here. He was getting attitude from people whose job description includes shooting people dead and blowing up stuff, and not getting involved in other people's problems. Leave the weapons in the hands of people who are trained to use them but won't help you doesn't have that moral urgency to me... Then the author makes it clear that Quark was wrong all along by changing the story.

I think the connection to personal ownership of firearms is somewhat tenuous, and I didn't see this as a close equivalent of a Space Second Amendment story. I mean, "guns are bad" is certainly anti-second-amendment, but in the same way "fire is bad" would be against matches. It covers such a broad area that focusing on one specific seems mostly inaccurate.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 pm And I want to retort that those dozen threads weren't a protest of SF Debris's actions, or lack of it, appearances to the contrary. They really were just an attempt to get a discussion going on said subjects, and it was people objecting to that which is ultimately why I gave up on them.
All I know is that while I can't speak for Chuck, if it had been my site that'd had about half of the active threads on its forum for a while being about whether I wasn't as good as I used to be, I know I'd have been a bit hurt by it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@Darth Wedgius It does seem odd the DS9 crew seem so harsh on Quark, I'll agree - because it was explicitly said Quark's new associates sold not just to people like the Regent, but also legitimate resistance groups like the Bajorans fighting oppressive systems. I suppose it's part of the holier-than-thou dogma the Federation subscribes to - even selling to one tyrannical overlord is too far in their view. Though given DS9's shades of grey flavor, that too seems odd, especially given the lengths Sisko will go to sometimes in order to prevent conflict - bombing the Maquis colony with trilithium and deceiving the Romulans to enter the war, for example.

@Durandal_1707 Well, it wasn't my intention to hurt people. And it never is, yet that somehow keeps happening, doesn't it? Still, I'm sorry if it bruised any feelings, to anyone here.