Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Admiral X »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 am I actually thought PG-13 Die Hard 4 was fine.
AdamaGlare2.jpg
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Admiral X wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:08 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 am I actually thought PG-13 Die Hard 4 was fine.
AdamaGlare2.jpg
Well I have the DVD and have only ever watched the unrated cut on it, though all the good beats from the previous movies were well planted to the point of enthrall either way.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's one. SF Debris claims Quark engages in character assassinating behavior in the episode "Profit and Lace," though... that precludes a scene in Season 1, at the start of "Captive Pursuit," where Quark was likewise and more bluntly caught trying to extort a dabo girl, not just into performing oo-mox, but implied actual sex acts past that, possibly the deed itself, like he'd enjoyed under the Cardassians, and Sisko put a quick stop to that. Whether you wanna argue that's character assassination after his development is irrelevant, it just shows that Quark had been disposed that way once in the show's history. But then Rom was a rather misogynistic troll like any other Ferengi on TNG had been portrayed as, and he grew into something more, so... retcon?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

His description of the Batman copycats in The Dark Knight and their more problematic aspects seems kind of exaggerated. I don't really see them as piling on to the problem of crime as he puts it in the review sorta, just that them using guns and putting lives at risk including their own isn't gonna fly on Batman's watch. I guess it sorta depends on if Batman sees himself as an actual beacon of justice or as an opposing counterweight to organized crime in the proverbial eye of justice. I was kinda going with the former, in which fashion the copycats kinda are too. Chuck might be coming from the latter, in which case calling the copycats essentially another gang would be consistent.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well... we have no idea to the scope, but it's outright stated these were the latest group. So it's happened more than once, and implied to be across a much wider range than you think. Just pure speculation, but if so, then they're as much part of the problem as organized crime. And sure, the copycats saw themselves as heroes. I don't think so. Granted, they're killing mobsters but that will just lead to more gang warfare, as their family retaliates, probably bloodily, against more unarmed bystanders, even people who weren't personally involved in the shootout but by simple blood connections, like their parents, siblings, even their pets and friends. That is how the mafia operates. Batman doesn't want to kill the enemy, he wants to expose them, fix the law, so that the system can take over. What justice is there to be gained from killing the enemy if you can make sure they'll properly pay for their crimes?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 am Well... we have no idea to the scope, but it's outright stated these were the latest group. So it's happened more than once, and implied to be across a much wider range than you think. Just pure speculation, but if so, then they're as much part of the problem as organized crime. And sure, the copycats saw themselves as heroes. I don't think so. Granted, they're killing mobsters but that will just lead to more gang warfare, as their family retaliates, probably bloodily, against more unarmed bystanders, even people who weren't personally involved in the shootout but by simple blood connections, like their parents, siblings, even their pets and friends. That is how the mafia operates. Batman doesn't want to kill the enemy, he wants to expose them, fix the law, so that the system can take over. What justice is there to be gained from killing the enemy if you can make sure they'll properly pay for their crimes?
Yeah that frames it alright. We're not really shown or told that they're escalating or causing splash damage or anything.

Pretty much yeah though, he's trying to expose and apprehend and make a working example of the law. When he says hockey pads also though he can be implying that they're working to the same end. Why he's having them arrested though lol, the hockey pads could just be a middle finger.

Then there's also the way Crane looks at the guy after Batman says that. You know that he's personally taken away by the theatrics of it and is just thinking, "yeah you guys are kinda balls."
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

But again, it's implied to be... I dunno, perhaps the... tenth group Batman's dealt with? And the police have probably dealt with that many. Meaning it would be an escalation of the conflict.

Well, it's true. They're not wearing proper body armor, and are shooting people instead. Batman is not that crude or simplistic in his approach - and this from the guy who beats people up and is dressed up like a scary hellbat. Irony is always pretty consistent in the Batman mythos.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:14 am But again, it's implied to be... I dunno, perhaps the... tenth group Batman's dealt with? And the police have probably dealt with that many. Meaning it would be an escalation of the conflict.

Well, it's true. They're not wearing proper body armor, and are shooting people instead. Batman is not that crude or simplistic in his approach - and this from the guy who beats people up and is dressed up like a scary hellbat. Irony is always pretty consistent in the Batman mythos.
I guess I just kinda compare them to Antifa. Overall consensus is that they're a bit over the top, but I remember people thinking twice about it.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Admiral X wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 am I don't know, I see a kind of "fuck yeah, science!" type of popular culture that seems to worship the idea of science without really seeming to understand how any of it works. Know what I mean?
Yup. It's a superficial acceptance.

That seems to be basically how Stamets and Tilly are written in Discovery.

And shows like Big Bang Theory, which is ostensibly about nerds, is really about how funny/silly they are, with most of the jokes being at their expense or about how silly being a nerd is, rather than being actual jokes that nerds would tell (because the primary audience isn't nerds, authentic nerd jokes would go over their heads).
planescaped
Redshirt

Post by planescaped »

Distant Origin and The 37's are where I disagree most.

I thought both of those episodes were utter, absolute bottom of the barrel garbage, and still do even after watching his review and rewatching the episodes. A lot of it is because of how lazy and preposterous the 'earth thing in the delta quadrant' storylines are.

Shit you'd expect out of bad TOS...