Doctor Who: Harriet Jones

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Sir Will
Officer

Doctor Who: Harriet Jones

Post by Sir Will »

https://www.sfdebris.com/videos/doctorw ... tjones.php

Great character. Sad end. But she went down doing all she could to protect the Earth. And succeeded.

Do you think what she did was right?

Separately, do you think what The Doctor did was right?

I'm not sure if she was wrong. But The Doctor was.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: Harriet Jones

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I think there were shades of grey on both sides, but a lighter shade of grey for her.

BTW if anyone has seen "Sean of the Dead," she may look familiar.
User 2632
Redshirt

Post by User 2632 »

Or Downton Abbey. It was The Doctor's treatment of Harriet Jones that cemented the Doctor as My Favourite Villain.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think Harriet Jones acted in a manner that showed she had no business involving herself with aliens. She believed what she was doing would scare off future aliens but all she did was show the Doctor's word couldn't be trusted.

Any agreement the human race makes now is under the pall of, "We don't honor our agreements arbitrated through a third party." As for showing humanity can take care of itself....IT CAN'T so it was just empty bravado.

Never forgive Harriet Jones, never forget.
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

Harriet Jones: Best Prime Minister.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Trinary wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:03 am Harriet Jones: Best Prime Minister.
I'd have voted for her... party. That's how Brit elections work, RTD got that completely wrong.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 am I think Harriet Jones acted in a manner that showed she had no business involving herself with aliens. She believed what she was doing would scare off future aliens but all she did was show the Doctor's word couldn't be trusted.

Any agreement the human race makes now is under the pall of, "We don't honor our agreements arbitrated through a third party." As for showing humanity can take care of itself....IT CAN'T so it was just empty bravado.

Never forgive Harriet Jones, never forget.
How dare she be invaded by aliens? She doesn't deserve to be invaded by aliens. You gotta be SO high to go on the fairground ride. You gotta be SO morally enlightened to DESERVE to be invaded. Slut-shaming and fat-shaming and now there is invadee-shaming.

Sycorax offered to surrender and immediately broke that Peace. Which proves you gotta trust them. Sycorax are just Cardassia = space-Nazis = Daleks. You gotta trust Daleks, that is the Snowflake moral High-ground.
As for showing humanity can take care of itself....IT CAN'T so it was just empty bravado.
True. Whenever humanity dares to try to take care of itself, Doctor destroys Britain's Golden Age and brings in the Master Race. You think this is a good thing; I think it is a bad thing.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Artabax wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:09 amHow dare she be invaded by aliens? She doesn't deserve to be invaded by aliens. You gotta be SO high to go on the fairground ride. You gotta be SO morally enlightened to DESERVE to be invaded. Slut-shaming and fat-shaming and now there is invadee-shaming.

Sycorax offered to surrender and immediately broke that Peace. Which proves you gotta trust them. Sycorax are just Cardassia = space-Nazis = Daleks. You gotta trust Daleks, that is the Snowflake moral High-ground.
Allow me to illustrate.

Harriet Jones: We have to show we can take care of ourselves.

*stabs aliens in the back*

*Thousands of Sycorax ships show up in response*

Harriet Jones: Oh dear.

It's not even morality but just she's a BAD politician and bad stateswoman.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:28 am
Artabax wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:09 amHow dare she be invaded by aliens? She doesn't deserve to be invaded by aliens. You gotta be SO high to go on the fairground ride. You gotta be SO morally enlightened to DESERVE to be invaded. Slut-shaming and fat-shaming and now there is invadee-shaming.

Allow me to illustrate.

Harriet Jones: We have to show we can take care of ourselves.

*stabs aliens in the back*

*Thousands of Sycorax ships show up in response*

Harriet Jones: Oh dear.

It's not even morality but just she's a BAD politician and bad stateswoman.
Sure, Harriet is so bad that handing the Power on a silver platter to the Master is the morally superior option.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Harriet Jones made the correct choice, and the alien tourist disagreed with her. Earth's main advantage is that it's overlooked for being so primitive. Even if aliens keep on coming at least once a year, that's better than constant contact due to Earth being widespread knowledge. The Doctor Who universe is a terrible place to live, and you don't always have the benefit of choosing your neighbors. Better that a Sycorax vessel mysteriously disappears(remember, they only came because of the probe the UK sent).

And even if the Earth is later found out and known. Having it as a known entity that can fight back is better than another easy target for aliens. Earth should have been building fleets of things like the Valiant to fight back.

What happens when the Doctor isn't around, and someone like Harriet Jones isn't there to defend the Earth with alien weaponry and other such things? Children of Earth happens, and the governments of Earth are forced to sell their children to aliens who use them as drugs. The Doctor comes by, sometimes, if you're lucky. But there are lots of times where the Earth doesn't have him, and things go horribly wrong.

And we do see what happens if Earth is considered dangerous enough by the neighborhood. In the season 3 finale, having Harold Saxon/The Master around meant everyone steered clear of Earth. So either the Sontarans, the Space Titanic, the Adipose, and the Daleks never showed up to nab Earth because of timey-wimey bullshit, or they feared facing off against a properly armed Earth.

Huh, almost seems like having a reputation as being armed to the teeth kept the alien invaders away.