Doctor Who: The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Jonathan101
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End

Post by Jonathan101 »

Rjak wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 pm I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought it was wrong of the Doctor to do that to Donna. If she would rather keep her memories and die then that's her choice. It's like if a brain surgeon decided to operate on someone without their permission. Too bad this Doctor doesn't have to answer to a medical board.
Brain surgeons DO operate on people without their permission though, at least in case of emergencies.

It is also legal for doctors to ignore refusal of treatment under very specific circumstances, and one of those is when the patient is not of sound mind due to an altered mental state brought about by drugs, brain injury etc., and Donna certainly had an altered brain at the very least.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

User 2632 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 am I'd like to think that if the Doctor hadn't been so arrogant, and discussed what was going to happen with Donna before she started to destabilize, she may have come up with the idea to use the Fobwatch Chameleon thingy to change her Human brain into a Time Lord brain, thus allowing her to retain her consciousness and survive.
Pretty sure that wouldn't work because supposedly that works by containing the extra that is timelord as opposed to granting it though to be fair when a normal person got the fob watch they started getting a little like the doctor without the instability. Perhaps it could have acted as a temporary measure in order to bleed off the excess and then she can access it only when needed
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I didn't like Donna much at all in her first appearance, but by the time she became a regular I found her very endearing.

I still think Martha got short-changed, as she finally got out from under Rose's shadow... and then left. We never got to see Doctor Jones as herself as companion.
Darmani wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:58 pm
User 2632 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 am I'd like to think that if the Doctor hadn't been so arrogant, and discussed what was going to happen with Donna before she started to destabilize, she may have come up with the idea to use the Fobwatch Chameleon thingy to change her Human brain into a Time Lord brain, thus allowing her to retain her consciousness and survive.
Pretty sure that wouldn't work because supposedly that works by containing the extra that is timelord as opposed to granting it though to be fair when a normal person got the fob watch they started getting a little like the doctor without the instability. Perhaps it could have acted as a temporary measure in order to bleed off the excess and then she can access it only when needed
The whole notion is so wibbly-wobbly that it's hard to really make any concrete theories about it, but given the way this sort of thing works on Doctor Who any solution is viable if it's the way they want it to work. Sadly, Donna's time was up, so this was a No-Win situation.

The fobwatch is a a pretty good, previously-established mechanism by which this sort of mind-sponging could work, so it has that going for it.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Well it's like this because they wrote like this. You could easily have gone with a "arton energy overexposure" that means she can never time travel again.

All while leaving memories intact.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Davies likes to kill his companions but can't bring himself to ACTUALLY kill his companions. Donna and Rose got the same treatment of being prophesied to die (by Caan and the Beast, respectively) yet Davies didn't want to go all the way, might have wanted to leave the door open for a future return, and perhaps saw killing them off after setting it up as just too predictable so wanted a twist on it instead.

Moffat did some B.S. with the fate of companions in his time, but at least he actually did kill them (although only the Ponds really "stayed dead"). It always bugged me when Davies did that.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I'm glad that Martha just got to go home. It's pretty lousy that companions often don't survive, but I suppose it's hard to justify most people retiring voluntarily on a fantasy adventure show.

She dodged a bullet by being unavailable to join Torchwood. It would have ended very poorly for her, I have no doubt.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:23 pm I'm glad that Martha just got to go home. It's pretty lousy that companions often don't survive, but I suppose it's hard to justify most people retiring voluntarily on a fantasy adventure show.

She dodged a bullet by being unavailable to join Torchwood. It would have ended very poorly for her, I have no doubt.
Martha was always a beloved companion for me but there were all sorts of unfortunate implications about an incredibly accomplished and educated black woman being constantly unfavorably compared to Rose. Literally, that being her plot.

I wonder what her season would have been like with no romantic attraction.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:26 pm Martha was always a beloved companion for me but there were all sorts of unfortunate implications about an incredibly accomplished and educated black woman being constantly unfavorably compared to Rose. Literally, that being her plot.

I wonder what her season would have been like with no romantic attraction.
Same here, which is why I was disappointed that she left immediately after resolving that aspect of their relationship. I wish we'd gotten a season where she'd been able to stand on her own, and then left under those terms.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Jonathan101 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 am Davies likes to kill his companions but can't bring himself to ACTUALLY kill his companions. Donna and Rose got the same treatment of being prophesied to die (by Caan and the Beast, respectively) yet Davies didn't want to go all the way, might have wanted to leave the door open for a future return, and perhaps saw killing them off after setting it up as just too predictable so wanted a twist on it instead.

Moffat did some B.S. with the fate of companions in his time, but at least he actually did kill them (although only the Ponds really "stayed dead"). It always bugged me when Davies did that.
WTF? You're seriously defending Moffat over Davies on the fate of companions or cheating death? Unbelievable. Clara is the ultimate cop out on that, which actually led to a terrible episode.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Sir Will wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:56 pm
Jonathan101 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 am Davies likes to kill his companions but can't bring himself to ACTUALLY kill his companions. Donna and Rose got the same treatment of being prophesied to die (by Caan and the Beast, respectively) yet Davies didn't want to go all the way, might have wanted to leave the door open for a future return, and perhaps saw killing them off after setting it up as just too predictable so wanted a twist on it instead.

WTF? You're seriously defending Moffat over Davies on the fate of companions or cheating death? Unbelievable. Clara is the ultimate cop out on that, which actually led to a terrible episode.

I think you missed the part where I said "Moffat did some B.S. with the fate of his companions in his time".

Yes, Clara coming back- and coming back in that way- was annoying as Hell, but at least he did in fact kill her.

I also found it slightly more bearable precisely because I'd already been annoyed with Davies twice beforehand over similar things (and Moffat for giving us so many anti-climactic endings) so I wasn't really enraged by that ending so much as just bored as usual.