Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
sayla0079
Captain

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by sayla0079 »

Oh okay my bad then sorry.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

sayla0079 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:28 pm Oh okay my bad then sorry.
No need for an apology! You were just trying to be helpful. And I screw up enough that I'd rather be corrected too much than too little. ;)
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

This is another one of my joke!canon things, but whatever. This one came to me after rewatching eps 3 and 4 of Disco with friends last weekend, specifically the end where Pike says it'll take Federation scientists centuries to go through all the data they gathered, and how Starfleet Science must be getting quite a backlog given how often they get immense troves of data that'll take centuries to go through. (Like, do you think sometime mid-TNG there was some researcher who found the file saying "Okay so there's this probe headed for Earth, looks like a big black tube with a volleyball at one end, it wants to talk to whales," and she just sighs and throws it in the 'would've been nice to know earlier' bin?)

But I imagined a scene in the future sometime - further future, that is - where we're in a super-tech office that's obviously generations more advanced than anything we've seen, but it's recognisable as a Starfleet environment, and amid the gleaming countergrav towers out the window you can see the Golden Gate Bridge, and from the back we see this one lieutenant in a future-Starfleet uniform with his feet up on the desk playing some fancy holographic version of solitaire while his omni-console is working on 'Secrets of the Universe, processing started 23rd/24th Century', and the progress bar finally ticks over from 99.99999999% to 100%. He's startled, he drops the game, stares at the screen which is just showing a beautiful pattern of light, whispers "Oh, I see..." - and we pan around him and (thanks to that age-reducing FX everyone's using nowadays) it's a mid-20s John de Lancie.
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Trek Economics: the Federation Credit exists even in a replicator economy.

While Earth is a de facto communist economy (don't flame me I didn't write it that way), what's scarce in the future is getting a warp speed ride.

No space airlines (even 1979 Buck Rogers had space airlines). No/extremely rare private ownership of warp ships (unless you're a smuggler).

You can get all the free food and clothes you want, but to get to Risa you need to pay $xxx,xxx credits.

That's why Pa Sisko runs his restaurant, he's trying to earn enough credits to visit DS9 more often.
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 am This is another one of my joke!canon things, but whatever. specifically the end where Pike says it'll take Federation scientists centuries to go through all the data they gathered, and how Starfleet Science must be getting quite a backlog
All I can picture is a blue shirt putting a flash drive into a giant wooden crate and putting it away next to the Ark of the Covenant
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

In Daredevil season 3, the reason Matt is so determined to break his Catholic moral code is because Elektra revived him with the dragon substance and he got twisted like anybody else we saw (her and Harold Meachum).
..What mirror universe? ;/
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:57 am Image
I love to think that sitting around the writers' sofas they were brainstorming the Kaylons and someone punny actually said, "how about the Kaylons have head cannons?"
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

A new one for me as I advance more into Who!

Doc Brown... is a Time Lord. I bet this is headcanon for millions of other people. I'm going to expand on this, though, and say he's a Time Lord... whose parents or grandparents fled his native reality, the main universe we see in Doctor Who, and just went to a parallel Earth, perhaps even another multiverse, and without the Time Lords to help stabilize paradoxes, well, that's where you get the whole "blowing up the universe" thing if you don't avoid them. The hitting his head on the bathroom sink? Opened him up to the larger dimensions of time and space his family had known before emigrating to another Earth, and so he became determined to build a time machine. I'm thinking it was his grandparents who were the Time Lords, or at least one of them was a Time Lord, who never told their spouse, and then when they moved to Hill Valley, as Doc noted, were the Von Brauns and changed their name during WWI due to prejudice against the Germans. And that, as the rest you'll note, is history! Doc is a lost son of the Time Lords in another time-space dimension!

Thoughts?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The Killing Joke backstory where he was an innocent victim driven mad by one bad day and Batman knocking him into chemicals was made up by the Joker as the most likely to cause Batman emotional distress. He was, in fact, like Jack Napier in that he was a complete scumbag since childhood.