Trans "women" athletes have advantages over cis women

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
LittleRaven
Captain

Re: Trans "women" athletes have advantages over cis women

Post by LittleRaven »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:08 pmI would be willing to bet a trained female martial arts master could kick the ass of any heavyweight male fighting champion.
Training helps, of course, but it mostly helps against people who haven't been trained. No sane fight promoter is ever going to put a woman in the ring against a heavyweight male champion, for the same reason that they aren't going to put a heavyweight fighter against a flyweight. Someone is going to get hurt. Probably badly.

It's also important to remember that we're talking in generalizations here...there are very strong women and very weak men. But at the highest levels of competition...everyone is really, really good. And when you place really strong women against really strong men...for the most part, women get blown out of the water. There are a couple of sports (mostly endurance based) where women might honestly be able to go toe to toe with men, but 99.9% of the time they get smoked.

None of this means that women are lesser than men. Female bodies are every bit as amazing as male ones - honestly more so in many respects - they're just designed with different criteria in mind. When you have to carry a self-replication factory around inside of you, it really cramps the design specs.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

LittleRaven wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:33 pmNone of this means that women are lesser than men. Female bodies are every bit as amazing as male ones - honestly more so in many respects - they're just designed with different criteria in mind. When you have to carry a self-replication factory around inside of you, it really cramps the design specs.
You mean a womb?
..What mirror universe?
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:43 pmYou mean a womb?
The actual womb is only one tiny part of the whole self-replication system. But yeah....it's amazing.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think willpower matters more than vague generalizations. Otherwise, a woman whose child is threatened couldn't lift up a car. Seriously, that's been the case a few times. I also do hate thinking of women as "weaker" than men even physically because it helps subconsciously feed into this mainstream view the patriarchy and men have that women need us to look out for them, make their decisions for them, or that they don't know enough to plan things out on their own. One thing leads to another, leads to another, leads to another. Of course, while I think most people have more control over themselves than they think, I also believe most people don't know themselves as well as they think.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

LittleRaven wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:50 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:43 pmYou mean a womb?
The actual womb is only one tiny part of the whole self-replication system. But yeah....it's amazing.
Well sorrrrrrry
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Since you're starting the topic heading with scare quotes, you're already set on being an asshole G-Man. Why should anyone assume you're arguing in good faith?

As it stands, cis women with naturally high testosterone are being forced to artificially lower their testosterone levels because of this transphobic hysteria.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:19 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:15 pm
LittleRaven wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:15 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pmI mean, I've got nothing against separating sports by weight class or height or something like that instead of gender.
Won't work, though. The problem is in the body chemistry. A 115 pound man will absolutely trounce the overwhelming majority of 115 pound women in almost any physical contest. Testosterone is a hell of a drug.

Now maybe that's not a good reason to segregate sports. We didn't used to, after all. For a long time, women competed against men, when they were allowed to compete at all. We could go back to that, but part of that is accepting that very few traditional looking women will be getting medals.
That's not true. Testosterone isn't some magic super-drug, our society simply encourages women to have low upper-body strength and to maintain low weight through unhealthy diets and poor physical condition. Why do you think all the Amazons in Wonder Woman looked like their arms were noodles? They were played by women who've spent their entire careers literally starving themselves to fit insane artificial beauty standards.

Also, what about trans men? If G-Man's insane ideas were adopted, it would be hilariously easy for trans men to dope themselves and get away with cheating to win by disguising the drugs with their regular hormone treatments. Can you imagine the reaction THAT would get?
Do you think our society encourages women to be shorter? Also, which societies have women with the same average upper-body strength as men?
Testosterone doesn't make adults taller.

I don't get the point of your argument here--you're arguing that women should be forced to race against men because of what chromosomes they have? By that logic, some female supermodels are probably "actually" men (complete androgen insensitivity is a surprisingly common disorder that causes XY women). for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_ ... y_syndrome

So yeah. How do we make the distinction between men and women if not through personal identity and presentation?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I love the quote marks in the start of this. You can just feel the hate.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:02 am I love the quote marks in the start of this. You can just feel the hate.
Manbabies have been adopting ridiculous hateful customs to identify themselves for our convenience for years, man. The "incel" death cult even has an entire hate vocabulary of made-up slurs to throw at women (the current preference among those freaks seems to be "femoid" or "foid").
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:02 am I love the quote marks in the start of this. You can just feel the hate.
Well the funny thing I was thinking was that saying trans woman as it is pretty much gets the same point across.
..What mirror universe?