Zardoz

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nevix
Officer

Re: Zardoz

Post by Nevix »

Well this movie was a thing that happened.

It's just kind of there, has a sincere attempt at an art house commentary movie, and as a big mess.

I think Chuck's review of it is fine, but it's just one of those movies that's strange to review.

they're also points in the movie where I just couldn't help but say to myself that this is the most sixties and 70s b******* I've ever seen. Especially the crystals. Those stupid New Age crystals.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Honestly, the most entertaining part was the background regarding the IRA.

And only because it was also horrifying and probably true.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

I think Yukie got referenced indirectly about the first bit about rape~

"I don't think I have seen this many ugly clothes and haircuts in one place in my life" nicely sums up the late 60s and early 70s for me.
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:25 pm
Behold, the movie that somehow manages to be utterly batshit insane yet completely tedious and dull at once
... yet more and more fascinating as time goes on.
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm I enjoy "Zardoz". I am one of those guys that thinks the ideas in it are cool and interesting enough that I forgive the 1970s overdose.
FTFmyself
Anacronian wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:16 pm Honestly I think this is the worst review I have seen Chuck do, Yes Zardoz have a lot of nudity but really Chuck comes of as an prude in this review, It seems like all he can focus on is the nudity.
He's just speaking as a typical North American. As one myself I can see why he'd feel that way and agree. My enjoyment of the film is purely about what the movies themes are trying to tackle even if I wouldn't want to watch it again regardless of the nudity.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:32 am Honestly, the most entertaining part was the background regarding the IRA.

And only because it was also horrifying and probably true.
Oh, it's most probably true, this was about the time of the Arms Crisis, when two cabinet ministers (one of whom Charlie Haughey later became Taoiseach, and turned out to be the most corrupt politician of the 20th century) were sacked over their roles with regards to facilitating the IRA importing weapons from the US and the Soviet bloc. Though chances were the whole government was involved, the then Taoiseach, Jack Lynch had two defining traits as a politician, being the most useless one in Irish history, and threatening to invade the North after Bloody Sunday (he had a third defining trait but not political, being the greatest dual player in the GAA's history).
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

As for not wanting to show naked people. XD

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL-ueaMz0ao[/youtube]
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I am surprised that Chuck did miss one element in the fact that this is an arthouse movie about the problems of living forever. Specifically, that this is a Space Whale Aesop. It's examining critically an idea that....doesn't exist because immortality isn't real (outside of religious beliefs and transhumanism that doesn't yet exist).

So it's pondering the ideas deeply of a problem that doesn't yet exist.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 pm I am surprised that Chuck did miss one element in the fact that this is an arthouse movie about the problems of living forever. Specifically, that this is a Space Whale Aesop. It's examining critically an idea that....doesn't exist because immortality isn't real (outside of religious beliefs and transhumanism that doesn't yet exist).

So? All the best hard science fiction ponders problems that do not yet exist.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:06 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 pm I am surprised that Chuck did miss one element in the fact that this is an arthouse movie about the problems of living forever. Specifically, that this is a Space Whale Aesop. It's examining critically an idea that....doesn't exist because immortality isn't real (outside of religious beliefs and transhumanism that doesn't yet exist).

So? All the best hard science fiction ponders problems that do not yet exist.
I strongly disagree and think the best science fiction analyzes problems of the current world through the veneer of the future.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Beastro wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:55 am I think Yukie got referenced indirectly about the first bit about rape~
Yeah, I couldn't help but laugh at that along with feeling a bit sad that he felt he actually felt he had to say that. It's kind of been a worry of mine that some of these busybodies complaining about some lack of virtue signalling on his part would end up effecting his reviews for a while now.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Admiral X wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:12 pm
Beastro wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:55 am I think Yukie got referenced indirectly about the first bit about rape~
Yeah, I couldn't help but laugh at that along with feeling a bit sad that he felt he actually felt he had to say that. It's kind of been a worry of mine that some of these busybodies complaining about some lack of virtue signalling on his part would end up effecting his reviews for a while now.
There seems to be this idea nowadays that if you don't spell out in fifty point high ''THIS IS WRONG GUYS DO NOT DO THIS'' then somehow you are endorsing it. Its a big risk too because these kind of people can really attract negative attention to you - and bear in mind this site is the thing keeping the roof over his head so its understandable. His Profit and Lace review was derailed for this reason and he has my sympathies.