International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Re: International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

Post by Fixer »

First part of the French election is in.
It's Macron Vs. Le-Pen. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39686993

Macron seems to have been everyone's second choice thanks to his centrist position. Even Le-Pen voters. In my opinion this would give him the advantage, but polls are still too close to call.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

You don't like the second round polls?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Thanks for those :)

Yep. First round showed 1% difference. Second round 24%
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I wouldn't be surprised if Le Pen still manages to get it.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yerushalmi
Redshirt

Post by Yerushalmi »

When was the last time you saw a polling error that covered a 24% margin?
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yerushalmi wrote:When was the last time you saw a polling error that covered a 24% margin?
Yeah.

That, and from what I hear, all the other major parties have thrown in behind Macron. So unless they have a truly massive number of Bernie or Bust analogues who rebel against their parties' leadership because their candidate of choice didn't win, or Russia rigs it... La Pen ought to lose, thank God.

That said, I would hope her opponents in France would learn from the Brexit and Trump debacles and not take things for granted. We don't need to lose another country to Russian-backed Neo-Fascists.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Yerushalmi wrote:When was the last time you saw a polling error that covered a 24% margin?
Pretty sure the one for the US election was actually bigger than that. Of course the actual win was because of how our electoral system works (so the lower population states aren't completely lead about by the more populous one), but the popular election wasn't the complete landslide the polls that came out just before the election indicated.

And given the way all the other candidates are going with "move along now, nothing to see here" when it comes to the concerns of a very large portion of the population (who are being brushed off as nothing more than racists, and gee, where have I seen that before), so I can still see Le Pen pulling off a win because of that.
-TR
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

It's hard not to vote when it's a Sunday, everything but the polls are closed, and the future of Europe is on the line.

I doubt very much that there'd be many who voted for Hamon or Mélenchon willing to vote for anyone but Macron. Essentially, Marine would have to find a path to convince every Fillion voter that she's not the next Pétain, plus top it off with more than half of the folks that stayed home. Either that or goad Macron voters into staying home by performing a couple pratfalls.

I'm not sure that trick is going to work in this case. While France might be convinced to vote Germany off the island, they're not generally known to do anything that might be seen as following the British example...
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Admiral X wrote:
Pretty sure the one for the US election was actually bigger than that. Of course the actual win was because of how our electoral system works (so the lower population states aren't completely lead about by the more populous one), but the popular election wasn't the complete landslide the polls that came out just before the election indicated.

And given the way all the other candidates are going with "move along now, nothing to see here" when it comes to the concerns of a very large portion of the population (who are being brushed off as nothing more than racists, and gee, where have I seen that before), so I can still see Le Pen pulling off a win because of that.
Anyone who votes for Trump or La Penn and is aware of their positions is, by definition, if not actively hostile towards minorities, at least willing to throw them under the bus for the things that they do care about.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

:lol: Sure, keep going with that. That totally didn't turn people against the Democrats in the last election at all.
-TR