Doctor Who: The Girl Who Died / The Woman Who Lived

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Jonathan101
Captain

Doctor Who: The Girl Who Died / The Woman Who Lived

Post by Jonathan101 »

Last edited by Jonathan101 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Artabax
Officer

Re: Doctor Who: The Girl Who Died

Post by Artabax »

Re: Let's talk about Ashildr. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2801

Post by Artabax » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:05 pm
There were barrels of electric eels, so I expected Doctor would cure Ashildr with electric charge to the Heart. Clear!!! But no, TPTB pull an immortality pill out of their asses. Monsters are immortal and use holograms, why are immortal monstres scared of holograms???

Let's kill Hitler River kills Doctor and resurrects him with Regeneration Energy like growing extra arms. So when Clara dies Doctor shoots General, I expected cure Clara with Regeneration Energy. OH no, that would be the 'C' word. TPTB pull out of their asses yet another Multiverse destroying Paradox TM.

Prophecy the Half-blood will sit upon the ashes of Gallifrey that was nicely done. We expect Arya will assassinate Gallifrey like the Freys, but it's just her being there when Gallifrey dies of End of the Universe syndrome TM. BUT Random alien of the Week has bigger and better immortality magic than Time Lords???

OK Arya is awesome. But these episodes make her too awesome.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah it really bugs me that this immortality tech isn't some unique culmination of circumstances or mad science or such, it's just a standard issue med pack for these aliens. It's such powerful a form of immortality tech that she's there at the end of the flipping universe. By that logic, shouldn't all the fish alien warriors still be around at the end of time?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Nah, only works like that for humans. For... reasons. Yeah it's dumb.
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

I think my problem with this episode is that the Doctor's revelation about why he has his face should have come earlier, being the thing that gets him to decide to help them, rather than the medpak idea, since he wonders if he did the right thing in the end and seems like a far contrast to what he had just realized about himself.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

The idea that the Doctor cares too much also doesn't track with his actions in the prior season. Moon about to blow up and collide with Earth? Doctor runs away and leaves Clara and a school child to face the consequences of possible human extinction.

Dream lobsters are slowly killing a few humans? Doctor says, "Not my problem", and walks away, saying that eventually humans will start eating them with dipping sauce, and only helps when he realizes his own life is on the line as well.

Humanity is fighting a terrible war against the Daleks and in need of help? He walks away because they're 'soldiers' fighting a war and that's terrible, they should all die for such actions.

Aliens are coming through Earth via a dimension? Doctor falsely accuses a man of a crime to take his job and sets up his experiment to bring them through in a school with children, needlessly putting them in danger.

This "The Doctor cares too much, and acts callous because of it", only works if he actually acted to help, and wasn't one to actually make people's lives worse, or run away if he doesn't have to do anything about it.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

FaxModem1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 am The idea that the Doctor cares too much also doesn't track with his actions in the prior season. Moon about to blow up and collide with Earth? Doctor runs away and leaves Clara and a school child to face the consequences of possible human extinction.

Dream lobsters are slowly killing a few humans? Doctor says, "Not my problem", and walks away, saying that eventually humans will start eating them with dipping sauce, and only helps when he realizes his own life is on the line as well.

Humanity is fighting a terrible war against the Daleks and in need of help? He walks away because they're 'soldiers' fighting a war and that's terrible, they should all die for such actions.

Aliens are coming through Earth via a dimension? Doctor falsely accuses a man of a crime to take his job and sets up his experiment to bring them through in a school with children, needlessly putting them in danger.

This "The Doctor cares too much, and acts callous because of it", only works if he actually acted to help, and wasn't one to actually make people's lives worse, or run away if he doesn't have to do anything about it.
I really hate Season 8 Doctor.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

FaxModem1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 am The idea that the Doctor cares too much also doesn't track with his actions in the prior season. Moon about to blow up and collide with Earth? Doctor runs away and leaves Clara and a school child to face the consequences of possible human extinction.
The moon episode was one of the worst in the franchise, to be sure, but his point there was that was absolutely positively 100% a huge major turning point for humanity, and it was a natural event, not an alien invasion brought about from the Doctor drawing attention, and something THAT big and important he just couldn't interfere with, good or bad. (And he basically just left the room and kept watching, he didn't abandon them completely.) It's also implied he maybe more or less knew the final result already even if he didn't know the details since he states afterward "Oh yeah, the is the point where humanity cleans up and starts going to the stars."

How the rest of the episode handled it with "okay, we'll have the planet vote with turning off their lights if we should kill all of humanity or save one giant moon monster" was really, reeeeally dumb. Especially since Clara overrode it anyway. And the whole premise in general. And that they completely missed the abortion metaphor. And the bad science, even by WHo standards...

All super poorly handled and written (and most of the logic issues could have been fixed by making it an alien planet instead of ours where we know what the moon is,,,, like the thing wouldn't need to leave behind a magic moon egg just as big as the old one.)

Of course, then a few episodes later we got the planet making trees sprout up overnight, and also declare that those same over forrested trees would just dissolve in a couple days and people would basically forget about the whole thing? Ugh. Couple all time awful episodes that year.
If he's reached his breaking point and has just been dissapointed time and time again, when humanity used to always pleasantly surprise him, and he's just waiting for them to prove they're great again? It's a lot more hands off, but thats a little bit closer to how the original series used him, as opposed to NuWho where he's a straight up superhero.
TheOneTrueJack
Redshirt

Post by TheOneTrueJack »

It was a natural disaster. The Doctor's logic was that it wasn't his place to make this decision for humanity. Also, in the end it implies he was pretty sure humanity wasn't in any real danger anyway. It's not like he left in the middle of an alien invasion or anything.
At that point he had already saved them from the dream crabs, so the immediate danger had passed. Once he realised that the threat wasn't over, he rushed back.
He saved the soldier that he happened across, like he always does. After that what was he supposed to do? Stop the war, defeat all the Daleks? By that logic he should stop every war ever. At a certain point it's out of the Doctor's hands.
But even then he's still trying to stop the monster and save lives. Is he being arrogant and reckless? Sure, but he's still trying to do the right thing and save people.
I don't think there's any point where Twelve just walks away from a problem or actively tries to make people's lives worse. He may think certain problems are out of his hands, or he may mess up on occasion, but that's different.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Doctor Who: The Girl Who Died / The Woman Who Lived

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I'd like to see a cross-over with SG-1. "Hi, I'm Me." "I'm Yu."

I think there's a parallel between Me and the clockwork killer in Deep Breath. They've continued, but there's not much left of their original selves; in his case, he's replaced what's physical, and in her case the original mind has largely been eroded by the hourglass's sand.

And a parallel between expecting the Doctor to handle all possible consequences of everything he does and the post-TOS Prime Directive. Never go full Prime Directive.