VOY: Remember

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: VOY: Remember

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I agree that this episode had a respectable plot, but was also a bit of a snoozer.
..What mirror universe?
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Beelzquill wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:26 pm If we figured out how to do this, would schools no longer exist? Would we just upload information into our minds as kids and work as an apprentice somewhere like in earlier times?
That's one thing that is often forgotten in fiction, that uploading knowledge is plausible enough but once you upload a skill you are talking about muscle memory. This episode and The Matrix are two that come quickly to mind in learning to play an instrument or forms of karate. Knowing the correct movements is one thing, making them work out of habit is quite another. You could upload Paul McCartney's playing knowledge in to me and I would know how to play guitar, but put one in my hand and my arms and fingers are different lengths than his so I wouldn't be able to play without actual practice.

So yes, I think you would need apprenticeships and other ways to practice the skills you have been uploaded. It would cut the apprenticeship time way down, months or years rather than decades, but just because you know the kung fu doesn't mean you can dance the kung fu yet.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Zoinksberg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:28 pm
just because you know the kung fu doesn't mean you can dance the kung fu yet.
:lol:

Now I'm imagining Someone who's been in coma for a month getting kung fu uploaded and then falling flat on his face because of muscle atrophy while trying to do a sidekick.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Neelix once again reminds us how useless he is.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

ALSO, MORE NECK THINGIES! I never get tired of those. XD
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

"I'm not against genocide, I just believe in credit where it's due."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! XD

And yeah, holy shit, this episode is like something straight out of the glory days of the USSR or Nazi Germany with some of their worst crimes covered up and only just now emerging into the daylight... wow. And from a Torres episode no less. Amazing.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

He used it to joke, which is funny, but I'm fine with Janeway's reaction. They can't get directly involved. They can't force the truth on them. But that's different from just sharing what they know if the other person is interested.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's more of a joke because he's stacking it up side by side with the other instances of the Prime Directive, which goes all the way back to Kirk being reasonable in TOS, Picard's stupidity in TNG, and Janeway's decisions elsewhere regarding the ol' PD. That's why. I still found it funny. :)
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, this is one forgettable episode. The only scene I really remembered from it is when Janeway suddenly had the memories of music lessons in her head. It was because it was odd seeing everyone in civvies with the Mess Hall decorated more like a relaxing cafe or lounge rather than the Mess Hall we're used to.

The rest of the episode, meh. But yes, Torres's adventures in someone else's memories are kind of like the inverse of 'Violations', or a more privatized version of "Memorial", wherein we get one complete personal story, as opposed a brief incident from multiple perspectives, with both centering on a war crime.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I was reminded of "Violations", too, which makes how positive (or at least blasé) they are about memories (including traumatic and/or sexual memories) being inserted into Torres's head without her consent kinda icky.