VOY: Remember

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: VOY: Remember

Post by clearspira »

Fianna wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 pm I was reminded of "Violations", too, which makes how positive (or at least blasé) they are about memories (including traumatic and/or sexual memories) being inserted into Torres's head without her consent kinda icky.
Telepathy in general is icky. No one in real life would want to be around a telepath. Its not just mind rape; its state secrets, nuclear launch codes, account details, pin numbers, passwords etc. Seeing as Senator Kinsey is in this ep lets bring him up: I always thought the mutant registration act was a good thing. You can't have people walking around as dangerous as this without checks.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm curious, would you agree with locking up the Diclonii in Elfen Lied? Yeah, I agree with that too - they are too dangerous to be walking freely, but torture, keeping them locked up naked, and experimenting with them, leaving them hanging bare and bloodied from chains like some kind of animal? No. That's especially cruel given many of them can't help having a voice in their head, and that it's only going to encourage them to listen to the voice that tells them to kill all humans.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Well, since clearspira brought it up, yeah some check against superpowers would be necessary but you have to make damn sure it's a Limited check. It would need some type of constitutional amendment in the United States for me to approve of it and only if the check was just some kind of registry like owning a firearm and whatnot. The mutant registration act was always portrayed as being the equivalent to the beginnings of the persecution of Jews in Germany with the stars on their clothes, though I may be wrong , I haven't done particularly in depth research on it. It's the slippery slope fallacy, this might be a gradual build up of persecution, it might not, you don't know.

edit: The U.K. is under parliamentary supremacy right? Does that mean that Parliament could pass really ridiculous extreme versions of this with just above 50%? I don't know how Parliament works so forgive my ignorance.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, I can sympathize with wanting to raise Diclonius babies in isolation and teach them not to kill. But that's not what they do in Elfen Lied. At ALL. It's about hurting them and making themselves feel superior to who they see as their betters on the behalf of the humans. Yeah, that'll work. And as the end of the series proved, all it did was nearly wipe out most of humanity. Way to break it, "hero."
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And the "locking them up naked" thing, yeah... always seemed as if the human men just wanted to perv on them, but then, this is anime, so probably yeah, and given some of the Diclonii were raped in the manga, it's probably happened way more than we know.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Elfen Lied sounds like a messed up show.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They do this to young girls that are physically ten or fourteen, but are really actually seven or five due to accelerated aging. Yeah... they torture, restrain, strip, experiment on, and hurt little girls. Just... fucking messed up indeed.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Let's not pretend human beings aren't capable of this, though.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It actually kind of reminds me of a more extreme version of how the "mutants" were treated on DS9. Obviously not stripped, humiliated, raped, tortured, experimented on, etc, but they were locked up for their own good and the humans were a bit afraid of them because they saw them as their betters. It's just the Elfen Lied humans took that to mean, "We gotta degrade and break their spirit now so they don't get any ideas in their heads!"
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Only saw a couple episodes, yeah it's pretty fucked up.

As for the mutant registration act, they never go in depth as to what exactly it entails. I do know in a lot of the comics if you didn't register, whatever registering entailed, you where thrown into prison. Which in of itself suggests the act was too extreme.