VOY: Remember

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Re: VOY: Remember

Post by SuccubusYuri »

DAv wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:46 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:40 pm Fascinating. I didn't know the Queen still technically had that power, I thought Charles the first doing that type of stuff led to the English Civil War.
The Queen has that particular power on the condition that she never uses it. One of those quirks of British government.
Although the Queen DID dissolve the Austrailian parliament in the 1970s.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 am Voyager really liked episodes about buried memories, hidden memories, and fake memories.
It make writing easier when you can just restructured the character with a memory they forgot
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:42 pm ALSO, MORE NECK THINGIES! I never get tired of those. XD
Makes me think about what snide remarks people would make about the much akin to our own disgust at "pill popping" (Which Trek also got into with The Voyage Home before this).
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

DAv wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:46 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:40 pm Fascinating. I didn't know the Queen still technically had that power, I thought Charles the first doing that type of stuff led to the English Civil War.
The Queen has that particular power on the condition that she never uses it. One of those quirks of British government.
There is no condition, it's just that everyone knows when it would cause trouble.

When she does exercise it when it's clearly of use there is no problem, as everyone sees the since in it, as in Yuri's example of the Australia's crisis.

Any British monarch could try to go back to exercising their powers like they did before Anne. We all know how that would turn out, but that does not mean they wouldn't be without the freedom to do so or in violation of anything.
Beelzquill wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 pm Fascinating. I didn't know the Queen still technically had that power, I thought Charles the first doing that type of stuff led to the English Civil War.
The cornerstone of British government is Common Law with its pragmatism and emphasis on precedent. To lay out something in clear and solidly establish it is an alien concept and something more American and Continental in outlook.

Charles and the Civil War was more nuanced and didn't have anything to do with him violating any law rather than ignoring the demands and interests of Parliament upon whom he required financing when they wanted concessions in return for it.

All of that is at the heart of Montagu's comment about how Parliament could fight the king 100 times and they couldn't win while all he had to do was win once and they'd all be dead.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

TrueMetis wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 pm Only saw a couple episodes, yeah it's pretty fucked up.

As for the mutant registration act, they never go in depth as to what exactly it entails. I do know in a lot of the comics if you didn't register, whatever registering entailed, you where thrown into prison. Which in of itself suggests the act was too extreme.
In the comics it's mostly associated with time-travel stories where the Mutant Registration Act became the first step towards mutant death camps.

Which is one reason why, when Marvel did Civil War several years later fans automatically sided with the anti-Registration crowd, because they were fighting against a law called the Superhuman Registration Act (which, ironically, specifically excluded mutants, although the reasons given for the mutants staying it out were pitiful). Even if the SRA was more benign than the MRA (whether or not it was depended on who was writing a particular issue), you might as well have called it the Jim Crow Act for all the PR damage that did.

Generally the MRA itself was just depicted as "if you are a mutant you must register as such with the government", but the mutants fought it because they saw- correctly- that it was the first step towards much worse. The only problem with this though is that the X-Men themselves expect the government to respect the rights and privacy of mutants but routinely violate the rights and privacy of both humans AND mutants themselves.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Just need to find a "Happy Belated Genocide" card to slip this into...
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

It's worth noting that something regarding Torres's brain happens again later, in "Random Thoughts", wherein that telepathic society excises violent thoughts from people's heads.

Of course, that's nothing compared to all the psychic violence that happened to Tuvok. There's a reason why, in the Star Trek Titan novels, they noted that all the damage done to Tuvok over the years on Voyager made it to where he was going to have to refrain from using telepathy, because of all the telepathic trauma he went through.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Beelzquill wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm edit: The U.K. is under parliamentary supremacy right? Does that mean that Parliament could pass really ridiculous extreme versions of this with just above 50%? I don't know how Parliament works so forgive my ignorance.
Well, sort of. In Britain, when a later act overrides an earlier act, the later one takes precedence (this is disfavoured in the United States, where judges use may make reasonable interpretations to reconcile them). However, if they passed some ridiculous act that overrode something that is perceived to be a "constitutional statute", then they must explicitly declare that they are overriding that act. Of course, there's nothing written down stopping them from doing that, only convention and public outcry.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm curious, why didn't this episode get a 20 Dollar Bill award from Chuck? I mean, it was a direct parallel to the stuff the Nazis and Soviets did in their country.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I think he didn't give it the 20 dollar bill award because the main characters of Voyager didn't actually commit the genocide this time. It was other characters who committed it in the past and were covering it up.