VOY: Remember

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: VOY: Remember

Post by Yukaphile »

Actually, that's probably it. Very good catch!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

TGLS wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:37 pm
Beelzquill wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm edit: The U.K. is under parliamentary supremacy right? Does that mean that Parliament could pass really ridiculous extreme versions of this with just above 50%? I don't know how Parliament works so forgive my ignorance.
Well, sort of. In Britain, when a later act overrides an earlier act, the later one takes precedence (this is disfavoured in the United States, where judges use may make reasonable interpretations to reconcile them). However, if they passed some ridiculous act that overrode something that is perceived to be a "constitutional statute", then they must explicitly declare that they are overriding that act. Of course, there's nothing written down stopping them from doing that, only convention and public outcry.
MOST new statutes that change old Laws specifically list the old Laws that are being revoked.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Stupid Neelix moment: he don't understand furniture. Chuck extrapolates that Neelix don't understand showers and toilets neither.

VOY episode #1, Neelix wallowed in the bath and selfied to the whole crew look at Neelix in the Bath. My eyes! My eyes!!!

Neelix don't understand toilets, neither do the entire crew. Belanna cannot detect shit with a Tricorder. Neutral Zone TNG, Picard speech that Fed has evolved beyond aggression and evolved beyond needing stuff. Maybe Fed has evolved beyond shitting, the Transporter removes it from your colon and processes it to make Neelix's cooking.

VOY constantly measures Crew's brainwave patterns and knows when people need to go.

This also fits TNG Chain of Command Jellicoe orders 4 shift pattern = 6 hours work = people ain't tired and can function in a battle situation. Dyker refuses and insists on 8 hours work. What would those Peasants do if they had spare time? They would only shit in a toilet and be unworthy of that uniform.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:44 am
TrueMetis wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:33 pm Only saw a couple episodes, yeah it's pretty fucked up.

As for the mutant registration act, they never go in depth as to what exactly it entails. I do know in a lot of the comics if you didn't register, whatever registering entailed, you where thrown into prison. Which in of itself suggests the act was too extreme.
In the comics it's mostly associated with time-travel stories where the Mutant Registration Act became the first step towards mutant death camps.

Which is one reason why, when Marvel did Civil War several years later fans automatically sided with the anti-Registration crowd, because they were fighting against a law called the Superhuman Registration Act (which, ironically, specifically excluded mutants, although the reasons given for the mutants staying it out were pitiful). Even if the SRA was more benign than the MRA (whether or not it was depended on who was writing a particular issue), you might as well have called it the Jim Crow Act for all the PR damage that did.

Generally the MRA itself was just depicted as "if you are a mutant you must register as such with the government", but the mutants fought it because they saw- correctly- that it was the first step towards much worse. The only problem with this though is that the X-Men themselves expect the government to respect the rights and privacy of mutants but routinely violate the rights and privacy of both humans AND mutants themselves.
Marvel's Civil War's main problem is noone knew what the hell the law was. Some books implied it was just registration, while other said it was enforced conscription. There was one issue, where Tony tries to sign up the newly resurrected Hawkeye and make him the new Captain America. He warned Clint about violating the law, but Clint has no powers so is it also about people who dress up in costumes to fight crime? Would you be breaking it if you stopped a mugging on the way to a Halloween party?

Anyway, I find the X-Men to be somewhat hypocritical as Xavier has wiped memories in the past and they've used means to suppress other mutants' abilities when deemed dangerous. They pretty much kept Xavier's son locked up since birth because he could bend reality. I've actually always wanted them to do a story where there's friction between different types of mutants. How do those who can't "pass" for normal humans feel about those who can, for example?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

That's a really good point, especially since the friction is already there, it's just never been explicitly addressed. Remember the scene between Rogue and Storm in X-Men 3 The Last Stand?
"Finally, a cure for my chainsaw hands," said chainsaw hands Joe.
"There's nothing wrong with us!" said Johnny five-dicks.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Chuck was surprisingly easy on this one. I found it to be a little too on the nods and was a little confused at why anybody would want to kill the freaking space Amish.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Why did Hitler wanna kill the Jews? Why did Stalin hate the Ukraine so much he starved them to death? Hatred and prejudice never shows much reason.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:57 pm Why did Hitler wanna kill the Jews? Why did Stalin hate the Ukraine so much he starved them to death? Hatred and prejudice never shows much reason.
Because self-interest without regard for who gets in their way? It's pretty simple, but it's not something devoid of much reason.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That too.
DAv
Redshirt

Post by DAv »

Beastro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:25 am
DAv wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:46 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:40 pm Fascinating. I didn't know the Queen still technically had that power, I thought Charles the first doing that type of stuff led to the English Civil War.
The Queen has that particular power on the condition that she never uses it. One of those quirks of British government.
There is no condition, it's just that everyone knows when it would cause trouble.

When she does exercise it when it's clearly of use there is no problem, as everyone sees the since in it, as in Yuri's example of the Australia's crisis.

Any British monarch could try to go back to exercising their powers like they did before Anne. We all know how that would turn out, but that does not mean they wouldn't be without the freedom to do so or in violation of anything.
I meant in a more informal sense. It's still on paper and on the books, but everyone knows that if the Queen ever did try to exercise all those powers in the UK, she'd be pressed into abdicating at the very least.