Babylon 5: Revelations

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
G-Man
Officer

Re: Babylon 5: Revelations

Post by G-Man »

If they wanted to do it humanely, they should increase the pressure in the air lock slowly to, I don't know, 8 or 9 atmospheres first. Then when they space the guy, he just goes all splodey.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Byford_Do ... l_accident
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

By the way, do any of you remember Square One TV? Specifically, the Mathnet section at the end?

Because Sheridan's sister is Kate Monday.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

TheGreenMan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:18 am I swear I have seen this review before. Am I imagining things?
https://sfdebris.com/videos/babylon5/b5s2e00.php
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@G-Man That sounds just as awful...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Blaze Rocker
Redshirt

Post by Blaze Rocker »

G-Man wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:08 am By the way, do any of you remember Square One TV? Specifically, the Mathnet section at the end?

Because Sheridan's sister is Kate Monday.
Yeah. I watched that show for maybe one season. Sadly, Beverly Leech's face didn't stand out as much as Beth Toussaint's and I didn't recognize her.
I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.
Nessus
Officer

Post by Nessus »

Spacing always seemed like a rubbish method of execution to me, because it always involves jettisoning a whole roomfull of air along with the victim. Something the size of B5 can probably absorb the loss into its "misc. leaks" budget without noticing, but there's a lot of shows and movies and books where people will do this on smaller ships or stations in less resupply-friendly circumstances.

BSG for example killed a lot of people by spacing, and they REALLY weren't in a position to be wasting air.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I hadn't considered that, but you raise a good point. Maybe they can recycle air somehow? But then, the humans are always shown as being less advanced than other races like the Minbari and Centauri, and most especially the First Ones.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Nessus
Officer

Post by Nessus »

Can't recycle air you've dumped overboard. The stuff that stays onboard gets recycled as a matter of course, but that's different, and we have that tech now.

You can carry spare air in compressed tankage to keep the ship/station properly pressurized even if you lose some, but even with full double overage it's still dumb to waste it if you don't have to.

B5 probably regularly loses a certain amount of air in the same way ships always have a certain amount of bilge water: it's too big to completely leak-proof. They probably have replenishment tankage brought in with the food every now and then.

In a lot of space opera settings you can assume the shuttles have compressors on board and they take the opportunity to hork up some local air wherever they land if they need to replenish. But when you're out in space, it's still dumb to waste your backup supply on stuff you don't need to like that. Humans are fragile: if you really need to kill one, you got lots of options.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Just how many people do y'all think they space? Keep in mind, we're talking about treason. This is a crime that is very rare, as people usually don't go against their governments.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, given Clark's government and the Fascist polices he was instituting, while B5 avoided it, probably elsewhere? Um... a lot?