VOY: Remember

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: VOY: Remember

Post by Madner Kami »

If King Charles III would do that, yeah. But Queen Elizabeth II? Not necessarily. She's popular enough that she could get away with it, depending on what matter she throws her weight behind.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

DAv wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:00 pm
Beastro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:25 am
DAv wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:46 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:40 pm Fascinating. I didn't know the Queen still technically had that power, I thought Charles the first doing that type of stuff led to the English Civil War.
The Queen has that particular power on the condition that she never uses it. One of those quirks of British government.
There is no condition, it's just that everyone knows when it would cause trouble.

When she does exercise it when it's clearly of use there is no problem, as everyone sees the since in it, as in Yuri's example of the Australia's crisis.

Any British monarch could try to go back to exercising their powers like they did before Anne. We all know how that would turn out, but that does not mean they wouldn't be without the freedom to do so or in violation of anything.
I meant in a more informal sense. It's still on paper and on the books, but everyone knows that if the Queen ever did try to exercise all those powers in the UK, she'd be pressed into abdicating at the very least.
The Monarch is now a nuclear option: It's become rare for the Monarch to act, so if they should it's a clear sign of something going wrong. If that action causes no waves, then it's agreed upon and settled (Like in 70's Australia), if not, then it could become a canary revealing a deeper problem.

A situation might be that a would-be PM is dangerous enough for the Monarch to refuse them. Such a thing would cause problems, but if that person is a clear Hitler type, then the Monarch is doing their duty to their subjects even if the cost in the end may be the end of the Monarchy itself.

This is very much how the Thai monarchy operates given their internal problems and conflicts. People abroad can agree or disagree about it, but Bhumibol earned a reputation with his people strong enough that when he gave the nod and a military coop happened, the country as a whole didn't revolt wanting the monarchy abolished.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Who the hell is the Monarch?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Some guy in a butterfly suit who hates Dr. Venture, but I don't see how that's relevant here.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I thought he was talking about the DC character of The Monarch, who blew up in Superboy-Prime's face in the lead-up to Infinite Crisis.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:16 am Who the hell is the Monarch?
People that are ordained by God to rule a country.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I know that. But the way Beastro worded it was extremely confusing... at least for me.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 am I thought he was talking about the DC character of The Monarch, who blew up in Superboy-Prime's face in the lead-up to Infinite Crisis.
That whole prime thing was just a way for them to leach on to the original comics.
..What mirror universe?
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

See I thought the whole Prime thing was to bitch about comic book fans.