Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Admiral X »

Can't remember where I read that quote and Google isn't very helpful. Plenty out there about how the EU has the deal they want and that the UK asking for an extension is pointless, though.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

The EU is not making "an example" out of Britain. The consistent European position has been that
1) Britain is encouraged to change its mind and stay in the EU.
2) If Britain leaves the EU, then it is not in the EU!

Countries that are not in the EU have to negotiate and sign treaties to participate in those EU programs that are open to piecemeal participation. And it's not like the EU writes these treaties in a "take it or leave it" manner - everything in the EU system has always been pliable, negotiable, and subject to special consideration.

Britain's negotiations have had the benefit of this cushion of European diplomacy and a general willingness to work together toward tolerance, mutual understanding, and cooperation. But if the idea was ever seriously advanced that Britain would be able to write the entire script on its departure from the EU - that was foolish at best.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 pm The EU is not making "an example" out of Britain. The consistent European position has been that

Countries that are not in the EU have to negotiate and sign treaties to participate in those EU programs that are open to piecemeal participation. And it's not like the EU writes these treaties in a "take it or leave it" manner - everything in the EU system has always been pliable, negotiable, and subject to special consideration.

Britain's negotiations have had the benefit of this cushion of European diplomacy and a general willingness to work together toward tolerance, mutual understanding, and cooperation. But if the idea was ever seriously advanced that Britain would be able to write the entire script on its departure from the EU - that was foolish at best.
Yes they are trying to make an example of them. The EU is in existential crisis mode at the moment. It views Brexit as a threat to its very existence, so it will make leaving as painful as possible to discourage any others from leaving. ie Greece.

Quote from my favorite Geopolitical annalist:

"It was always going to be messy. There was never going to be a divorce deal with the European Union. EU policy dictates that in any big issue each individual EU member must approve of the final text. The Irish want to maintain restriction-free access to Northern Ireland. The Spanish want a path to recovering Gibraltar. The Dutch want the British as close to the common market as possible, but not if it means they have to follow rules the British do not. The French want to gut the British geopolitically. The Germans seek to maintain market access but deny London any rule-making influence.

There simply is no iteration of any deal that can satisfy all these divergent interests, much less in the short two-year timeframe the Brexit negotiations allowed. Getting a comprehensive trade deal with Canada took the EU a decade. Even if there were a path forward that would please all of Europe, any such deal couldn’t get through the British Parliament. In losing those three MPs, May has lost her majority – which was already razor thin and only in existence at all with the help of a minor Northern Irish party which has some pretty uncompromising views on issues Irish."
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

This is like when Geri Halliwell overestimated her viability as a solo artist and left the Spice Girls
-Protest Sign
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 pm The EU is not making "an example" out of Britain. The consistent European position has been that

So you think that in this age of the far right on the up in almost every country in the EU; with the likes of Le Penn rubbing her hands over the Yellow Jackets and Merkel very much in her twilight, that they want a country that leaves to make a success of itself? You are very naive - and that's me being nice.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I think the far right is more concerned about persecuting jewish and romani people than they are about making an example out of brits. It's kinda their thing.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:41 am I think the far right is more concerned about persecuting jewish and romani people than they are about making an example out of brits. It's kinda their thing.
Also the far right generally tends to be rather anti-EU.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

*Sigh* Traitors in Parliament. Said it before, say it again: referendum or election coming - and I would not automatically assume Tory or Labour to dominate that election. Keep your eye on UKIP. I think they'll do an SNP and carve a nice wedge for themselves.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm *Sigh* Traitors in Parliament. Said it before, say it again: referendum or election coming - and I would not automatically assume Tory or Labour to dominate that election. Keep your eye on UKIP. I think they'll do an SNP and carve a nice wedge for themselves.
I think there is a non-zero chance that the UK with find itself unable to form a coalition government as it crashes out of the EU.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Draco Dracul wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:41 pm
clearspira wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm *Sigh* Traitors in Parliament. Said it before, say it again: referendum or election coming - and I would not automatically assume Tory or Labour to dominate that election. Keep your eye on UKIP. I think they'll do an SNP and carve a nice wedge for themselves.
I think there is a non-zero chance that the UK with find itself unable to form a coalition government as it crashes out of the EU.
Goody. Another one. Look at one of the World's Oldest Democracies and weep.