Milky Way galaxy far more massive than previously thought

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Koshundheit
Officer

Milky Way galaxy far more massive than previously thought

Post by Koshundheit »

It is amazing how quickly new discoveries about the cosmos are coming out these days. My thanks to everyone involved in finding such creative ways to explore the universe right from our own little blue planet.

https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/c ... 725096d016
https://www.businessinsider.com/milky-w ... ght-2019-3
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Milky Way galaxy far more massive than previously thought

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I love news like this. It gives me hope.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Yeah, suck it Andromeda, you puny little shit of a galaxy! We're the biggest, We're the baddest, We're the best galaxy in the entire local group!

MIL-KEY-WAY! MIL-KEY-WAY!
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

you do know Andromeda is gonna collide with us in the near cosmic future right?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And we fuse, locking like lovers to form a whole new galaxy... or like lovers, the intensity kills us both from intergalactic heart failure. You're welcome for that lovely mental image. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Koshundheit
Officer

Post by Koshundheit »

ORCACommander wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:53 pm you do know Andromeda is gonna collide with us in the near cosmic future right?
Billions of years from now, yes. With that being an estimated 1/3 of the current age of the universe or farther in the future, that's still quite a little while in cosmic terms. :) Everything I've read in the past has said that the distances between star systems is so large that despite the galaxies merging, there might not be any collisions between star systems at all. The two super-massive black holes would be expected to merge though, and some star systems would get flung out completely into the intergalactic void, while others would get pulled in toward the larger super-massive black hole. The latter possibility being quite undesirable.

With the new size estimates, scientists will have to do new simulations to try to project how much difference the size change makes in their big picture predictions for a merger.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

More like the Milky Way will consume Andromeda. And then we see what else we can consume.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My God, we'll become the flipping Borg! Consuming galaxies until we're like IC 1101!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm really not that surprised by this. I always thought our galaxy is pretty big.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:28 am I'm really not that surprised by this. I always thought our galaxy is pretty big.
On a cosmic scale, we're still on the lower average end.

And this is terrible news. We won't fit into our wedding dress and there's not enough time left to train the extra weight away...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox