Kino's Journey: Land of Books

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Kino's Journey: Land of Books

Post by clearspira »

FaxModem1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:40 pm I seriously need to start watching this show, as the show seems to present very heavy philosophical concepts for me to chew on.
Yes, I've been thinking that since the train track one that Chuck reviewed. Seems like a show I would like. Someone laying a track whilst someone behind you takes it back up again whilst someone behind him is laying one again is a pretty apt metaphor for life.

Is it based on a Manga? I do prefer to read where I can (assuming its in English).
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thinking about it as well, there is something rather Dr Who about this show. She turns up, sees great things and then leaves to go somewhere else before she has to face any consequences of her actions - even her vehicle is alive. She doesn't dramatically interfere like the Doctor does, but that is the single biggest difference.
And it is also a good example of why Dr Who is a bit crap nowadays as each of the Kino stories that Chuck has reviewed so far is unique. Dr Who is just the same dozen stories on a loop for the most part.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 pm Is it based on a Manga? I do prefer to read where I can (assuming its in English).
It's based on a Light Novel series. I think there was one volume that was translated.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Formless One
Officer

Post by Formless One »

clearspira wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 pmIs it based on a Manga? I do prefer to read where I can (assuming its in English).
As said its based on a light novel series, but apparently there are not one but two manga adaptations. Both released in 2017, no less. I don't know if there is an official translation for either of them, though if not I can guarantee someone has put a scanlation online; its practically a law of the internet.

Keep in mind that from what I can tell, no two adaptations of Kino's Journey take the exact same approach to the source material. There is, for instance, another anime adaptation that also came out in 2017; Chuck's been reviewing the 2003 version, which has a slightly different selection of stories in it and took liberties with some of them (this episode in particular was apparently much more straightforward in the book, with none of the commentary about critics and censorship present, and it looks like the stuff about the tank came from a different chapter as well). The show-- both shows-- also changed the order of the chapters when turning them into episodes, but that's fine because the novel presented things out of chronological order as well, and many of the stories are meant to be in an ambiguous timeline. So expect the manga adaptations to be just as divergent, even though all versions of Kino's Journey share certain elements and stories that are particularly important to the journey Kino is on.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

AlucardNoir wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:06 pm

As a person that was fallowing him when he did the review and was and still is part of that passionate fanbase, I don't remember any particularly egregious examples of flack being directed towards him. That's why I asked. I mean, he's a guy expressing his opinion on the internet, people disagreeing with him is to be expected, but I really don't recall that review being received any worse then any other review he might have done.

This was pre-forum days, so he might have gotten a lot of critical e-mails about it.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I really need to point out, that it's spelled flak, not flack. The later is something entirely different from the former.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox