The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I loved the "Wireless Telecommunications Facility" joke (there's a reason Russ is my second-favorite portrayer of a Vulcan, and there's a big gap before the third), but the plot seemed a bit too reminiscent of "Booby Trap," and I felt more sympathy for LaForge than Malloy as LaForge knew what he was getting into and still got caught up in it.

I wondered if they'd have Laura Huggins dead from an airplane crash, but I guess how she died wasn't as important to the story as how she lived.

I thought the Moclan addiction plot was funny, but not hilarious.
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

So that wasn't Moclan foreplay Bortus and Klyden were engaged in?
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

It's disconcerting that Orville hasn't been officially renewed yet. Not a good sign. Not a bad sign. Just worrying. Fox/Disney would want the positive buzz of Orville being renewed as the season draws to a close.

If there isn't an announcement before the next new Orville in 3 weeks, that would be a red alert in my book.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

PerrySimm wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 am
Robovski wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 am It does follow on from the 2-parter, it's good to see a show that doesn't just reset or the episodes are interchangeable.

BTW, I am frustrated I cannot buy little ships from The Orville.
You wouldn't download a car, would you?
Absolutely I would.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

New episodes start again next week. This could be the one with Marina Sirtis, directed by Jonathan Frakes!
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Should tell you Sirtis's feeling about STD if she's appearing on The Orville and not STD.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

At this point The Orville is more or less its own thing. And forego putting any words in Marina's mouth, lest she descend to lay her sass upon thee! She may not have been cast but she has at least paid a visit to the Discovery set.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

She did talk about it in an interview. Seriously, you can google that. And it wasn't positive, to say the least.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

The interview with her was basically "I haven't watched Discovery but here's a generic statement about how great TNG was". I can see why you put so much stock into her opinion since like you she didn't watch the show.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

technobabbler wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:44 pm It's disconcerting that Orville hasn't been officially renewed yet. Not a good sign. Not a bad sign. Just worrying. Fox/Disney would want the positive buzz of Orville being renewed as the season draws to a close.

If there isn't an announcement before the next new Orville in 3 weeks, that would be a red alert in my book.
I think it's a bad sign. I'm worried. But we'll see. I still think the kind of episode they chose to show as their first episode was a mistake. I know why, for their overall narrative and budget and such, but still didn't do them any favors on ratings.

Anyway, I finally saw this episode and liked it. For the first time I actually wish there'd been more of the Bortus subplot, heh. Next episode looks quite interesting.