VOY: Mortal Coil Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Formless One
Officer

Re: VOY: Mortal Coil Review

Post by Formless One »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 pm I think if you differentiate between objective and subjective meaning, then we can get all you atheists on the same page. In the popular sense of the term, nihilism entails a lack of objective meaning, not subjective purpose. From an outsider's perspective, it would seem difficult for an atheist to argue for objective meaning (and many wouldn't care to), hence the connection between atheism and nihilism. It doesn't mean you have no personal values or are required to be an angsty first year philosophy student.

Of course there may be more rigorous, specific definitions of nihilism, different types depending on the philosophical field, etc.
No, there will always be those who argue that subjectivity is actually a surrender to nihilism because it prevents us from discovering any "real" values out there in the world to orient ourselves and our morals. But moreover, some of the thinkers would argue that God is unnecessary to finding Objective meaning to begin with, particularly Secular Humanists like Gene Roddenberry who would argue that the answer to the question lies in human nature or the human condition, not God. Or even that it misunderstands the nature of meaning.

For instance, one of the lesser known Existentialists, the psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor Viktor Frankl, argued that it isn't a lack of Objective meaning in the world that drives people nuts or to Nihilistic viewpoints, but the opposite: that Meaning is infinite in nature, but a finite human mind cannot fully comprehend infinities by necessity. So we tend to come to mistaken conclusions on the matter-- even those who do believe in God. Now, Frankl was a practicing Jew, but the point isn't necessarily theological. What we are often trying to comprehend are possibilities, but possibility space is demonstrably infinite. If you look back on the past, there are an infinite number of alternate histories you can consider. And looking into the future has the same problem. But those possibilities can be considered, in some sense, to be real. It takes skill to home in on the relevant or likely possibilities in order to not be overwhelmed. We have a limited understanding, and that's the point. We can't rule out there being an Objective meaning to life, and what we think is Subjective might not be. It might just be part of something larger we just can't comprehend yet, and that doesn't necessarily have to be God. Its best to go through life skeptical of Nihilism even if you don't know, because you may never know, and that's fine because you are only human.
“If something burns your soul with purpose and desire, it’s your duty to be reduced to ashes by it. Any other form of existence will be yet another dull book in the library of life.” --- Charles Bukowski
9ansean
Officer

Post by 9ansean »

<r><QUOTE author="FaxModem1" post_id="44392" time="1554600233" user_id="267"><s>
FaxModem1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 am</s>
<QUOTE author="Yukaphile" post_id="44384" time="1554597883" user_id="1793"><s>
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 am</s>
I don't know if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but... isn't this more of Voyager's retcons and contradictions? I mean, Spock made it clear when he was dead that <I><s></s>something<e></e></I> happened to him. And yet, Neelix confirms there's nothing, so... what the hell?
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

If that trips you up, just think about the fact that Torres experienced the afterlife a couple of seasons later, even talked to her mother there, while Neelix experienced nothing. Take that as you will.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Yes that was strangest thing to me having seen this after Barge of the Dead. Are we suppose to believe in this universe the Klingon after life is real, but the Talaxian one isn't? <br/>
<br/>
Of course, Torres journey could also be read as a series of dreams just as Chuck describes several ways this stories lack of vision might be explained. Yes religious explanations are different from scientific ones, but that hasn't stopped writers and teachers of various faiths from grappling with conflicting accounts of near death experiences for a long time. The inevitable problem of offering up explanations for spiritual matters is that there going to clash in a universe where multiple faiths exists and anyone of them can have real properties affecting different stories. <br/>
<br/>
Of course the question of how anyone gets invested isn't based on embracing a belief system, but how these beliefs relate to the characters. Here it makes a valiant effort, but just doesn't go far enough. Along with the lack of long term effect that could have had on Neelix (as others discussed) I found a great possibility for exploring the relationship with his sister or other deceased relatives. Frankly given how annoying Neelix tends to be, I actually found my shelf feeling more sympathy for them even without ever getting to know them. <br/>
<br/>
One reason that I think even those who find immortality unappealing still want to believe in an afterlife is having to remember losing someone in a way that felt wrong. If you've lose someone to war (as Neelix did) and you think that someone was a better person than you (which given his draft dodging is quite possible) you'd probably believe they deserved better! It would have been more compelling if Neelix wasn't just broken over the thought of never getting to see her again, but that there was seemingly no cosmic justice for her. <br/>
<br/>
That was what made Torres story effective. She didn't put much stuck in her families beliefs either, but did care if her mother was going to Klingon hell due to her own inability to uphold the expectation she'd been raised with. Thus she felt a duty to make peace with the part of her self even if was inevitably going to classes with the other parts of her life. In allowed to for a greater range of inner conflict</r>
Last edited by 9ansean on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9ansean
Officer

Post by 9ansean »

By contrast Neelix really has no permanent role outside of Voyager and he's hidden the vulnerabilities of his scrounger existence behind a false bravado. If the though of seeing his family again was the only permanent thing in his life (now that Kes has left) it would be understandable that he'd because desperate to hold on to that vision. Now even if we wanted to go the atheistic route and left that vision in ruins, that could have built up the grounds for a new kind of faith which is what I think they were going for with Naomi, but like so many resolutions on Voyager the conclusion seems forced.

Rather than coming off off as more committed than before, he (and the episode) makes flying leaps. After promising Chakotay he will follow through on the requirements of a vision quest, he abruptly ducks out to attempt suicide without even trying to fulfill his end of the bargain. Which even for a grief stricken person is kind of a dick moves since as Chuck said allowing non-believer to partake in one of your rituals requires a certain kind of respect. Kind of gives a whole no meaning to the term "Indian giver!" Only at the last minute does the trust of an innocent give him a reason to go forward and the exploration of faith is never addressed again. Merely sublimated in Naomi's dream shot.

This is why I found Neelix much more tolerable in Once Upon a Time. There he was trying to keep Naomi innocent to spare her from his own feeling of loss, if only for a while. A misguided goal perhaps, but at least the role of family was better developed and his intentions more consistently self-less. Better still, for ONCE he all but admitted his annoying tendencies (agreeing to back off lecturing Harry on his job "you don't tell me how to cook") and at the end of the day did own up to Naomi about his reasons for lying even if it was painful for him.
Last edited by 9ansean on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

I personally really like this episode and I'm sorry it was difficult for Chuck to separate himself from it because of how long he's been reviewing and talking about Voyager. Like many in the thread have said, part of the problem is Voyager's hatred of long-term storytelling. This feels like a major turning point kind of episode for Neelix as a character, something that can be brought back to over the rest of the run to change how he views himself and others, an alteration of his personality and emphasizing his strengths as a character. Hell, it lets Chakotay be more of a spiritual leader for once, since that's not really Janeway's department.

What gets me is that once again, Battlestar Galactica understood the darkness of its premise more than Voyager did. I know in the great enlightened Roddenberry future we're not SUPPOSED to have people contemplating suicide over the possibility of never getting home again, but it feels like the kind of thing that SHOULD have happened, or at least paid more lip service to the fact that this is incredibly depressing and they need a friggin' counselor on board.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Linkara wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:33 pmWhat gets me is that once again, Battlestar Galactica understood the darkness of its premise more than Voyager did. I know in the great enlightened Roddenberry future we're not SUPPOSED to have people contemplating suicide over the possibility of never getting home again, but it feels like the kind of thing that SHOULD have happened, or at least paid more lip service to the fact that this is incredibly depressing and they need a friggin' counselor on board.
Can you imagine, Voyager with Troi sitting next to Janeway? Chuck would have a field-day with that and I am geniunely curious about the interactions between Psycho-Janeway and Telling-The-Obvious-Troi... Harry and Neelix would get off the hook in every episode she appears.

But in all seriousness, yes. This is one of the many episodes that just spotlights, how utterly pointless and counter-productive the entire show's makeup was. The dissonance between premise and execution is just painful to watch.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought the monster in the girl's room served as a good loose metaphor for his own troubles.

Chuck's right that they really pull a fast one on you with Neelix. His interactions with Naomi Wildman have always been touching imo. Oh and then Chuck gets to the part where Neelix is about to teleport himself outside of the ship and it's like lmao jfc poor Chuck.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

...you know, I never saw the episode, so when SFDebris kept talking about everyone being nice to Neelix in the beginning, I thought the twist would be that this was Neelix's deathbed hallucinations. No, however, this is meant to be reality.

Another thought was, you're dealing PTSD and the shock of being raised from the dead? Just ask Harry Kim, he's the local expert!

And formless one, thank you for remembering the existence of Pagan religion.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Or Tom Paris. He literally raised himself from the dead.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Neelix was sent back by the Talaxian devil to learn more of how Janeway does things.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 am Neelix was sent back by the Talaxian devil to learn more of how Janeway does things.
Isn't the Talaxian devil the Looney Tunes guy who spins like a tornado and doesn't speak clearly?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins