The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The second season's premiere was down from the first season's, and numbers have dropped from that. I can't say I'm optimistic. I think season 2 is a significant improvement on season 1, but even I found the first few episodes of season two a little weak.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:54 am Should tell you Sirtis's feeling about STD if she's appearing on The Orville and not STD.
To be fair The Orville has been getting old Star Trek actors making appearances throughout the series. I think Tim Russ was in the last episode. Clearly, though, I would say that The Orville is becoming The Gargoyles of FOX's Thursday Primetime Nights.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Hopefully Fox is smart enough to see that limited viewership right now is a small price to pay for a show that seems like it will have long-term appeal if they play their cards right.

Getting a better ad team to advertise the type of show it is wouldn't hurt, either.
cilantro wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:54 am Should tell you Sirtis's feeling about STD if she's appearing on The Orville and not STD.
To be fair The Orville has been getting old Star Trek actors making appearances throughout the series. I think Tim Russ was in the last episode. Clearly, though, I would say that The Orville is becoming The Gargoyles of FOX's Thursday Primetime Nights.
That's an interesting comparison. What do you mean by it?
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:23 am Hopefully Fox is smart enough to see that limited viewership right now is a small price to pay for a show that seems like it will have long-term appeal if they play their cards right.

Getting a better ad team to advertise the type of show it is wouldn't hurt, either.
cilantro wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 pm
That's an interesting comparison. What do you mean by it?
What I meant was that the cast or at least a number of guest actors from Star Trek have been making appearances on the show. Tim Russ appeared in the latest one (he played the archaeologist) and a few other Star Trek actors had made either guest appearances (as guest characters) and/or cameos.

It's like watching an old show called, Gargoyles (which was an animated cartoon that I used to watch as a kid). It was a cartoon that had many voice actors from old Star Trek shows show up. It starred Marina Sirtis, and Johnathan Frakes (as two of the main characters) but the reoccurring/guest characters were voiced by actors like Kate Mulgrew, Michael Dorn, Brent Spiner, Avery Brooks, Nichelle Nichols, Colm Meany, LeVar Burton, etc....
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

cilantro wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:33 am What I meant was that the cast or at least a number of guest actors from Star Trek have been making appearances on the show.
Oh, of course! I was reading your mention of the timeslot and it took me in a different direction. Whoops.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Gordon falls in love with holo-Character. It is tragic, but it is nicely done.
Public service Announcement: Kids, smoking isn't as cool as it looks. fun.

Why are Crew playing with archaeological artefacts? All it needs is Archaeologist saying It's okay. I sprayed the artefacts with sciencey preservative stuff. It is safe for you to play with them. But he says nothing.

I know why. In UK museums important stuff is in glass cases and you are only allowed to touch copies and fakes. USA paradigm of Museum is Noah's Ark, you are allowed to touch ALL the artefacts because ALL the artefacts are fake.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Woot! It happened!
Marina Sirtis on The Orville
Marina Sirtis on The Orville
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Good episode. Ah Bortus, a stick in the mud by human standard, a progressive left wing commie by Moclan standards.

Obviously females and heterosexuality aren't nearly as rare as they claim. The question is why. Since they're not needed for reproduction (at least anymore), were they deemed inferior and something best removed? Is this a recent thing or, before surgery was possible, did they just kill females?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Taking into account this latest episode I have to say that the Orville will most likely be canceled. The first season was shown out of order and has some massive plot holes and logical inconsistencies. This second season has seen incredible qualitative improvements, mostly in the writing department. If the episode that started this whole Moklan ark was so-so, with the idiotic idea of presenting females from other species as example for why not to have the sex change, this episode upped the anti and was incredibly well written by comparisons. Unfortunately this is not a Star Trek TNG episode. It's incredibly well written for this show, but it's problematic - and I don't mean in a SJW way. Take for example the ending discussion at the Council - that was bad, while they succeed in making a Dolly Parton lyric work, and work incredibly well earlier in the show, the fact that Mercer would be allowed to say what he did in such a public place, the fact that the proposed solution would just be utter in a public siting or the council and not during a private meeting.That's not how democracy works. And it's sad because this latest episode was probably the strongest episode the show has had thus far.

Now, as to way I think this will be canceled... well, it's good, and it's only gotten better, but it's still not Star Trek The Next Generation. As much maligned as Early TNG might be, by this time in TNG we had already seen Elementary dear Data and Measure of a Man. This is the closest the Orville has gotten to that TNG goodness thus far, a "politically correct" episode that will be more or less universally loved, but one that is deeply flawed. Letting us with many unanswered questions that are right on the verse of becoming plot holes. The rating have been going down, the quality still hasn't hit that peek TNG highly intellectual progressives and positivism that it's going for, and FOX airing it in a manner that clearly indicates they have to faith in this. Unless McFarlane has something that is at the same level as Measure of a Man, Inner Light, Darmok, Yestarday's Enterpise or the like, something to really get the TNG fans fired up, something to make even the jaded, STD loving journalists sing praises to this show, it's going to get caned, probably at the end of this season.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Welp, I shall forever more associate 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton with ray gun fights.