Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by Yukaphile »

Kurtzman is the real problem. He worked on the Transformers films alongside Bay and Orci. They're real poison to the quality of any work.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

They are still using the same people that maked STD, will make the Picard Series. That, in my opinion, doesn't bode well.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My point exactly.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:12 am
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:38 pmYes, STD is the Kelvin Timeline. I've said this over and over.
Without giving any spoilers for anyone else reading, it is now certain by in-universe facts that Disco is not in the Kelvin timeline.
I don’t think Yuka really cares that DISCO doesn’t in any way fit in with the events of the Kelvin universe. He simply hates the Kelvin universe, thus is just willing to pretend DISCO is set in that universe anyway.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's actually that I'm a huge continuity geek, and I prefer a tight continuity. When you compare STD to TNG or DS9, it's very sad. Those shows had a very tight continuity. And it strikes me that those in charge are not TOS fans so much as TNG fans, maybe vaguely recalling the show from their childhoods, who don't constantly watch it. Clearspira said it best. They don't strike me as hardcore nerds like those working behind the scenes on DS9 were, and look at how well that show turned out. I can only name a few instances of continuity errors on one hand. That's dedication. Some people will go out of their way to continue giving STD a free pass talking about how, "Well, after so many years, do you really expect them to try to adhere to every little piece of continuity?" Except that's how it SHOULD be. One of the defining traits of Trek, at least to me, has been its intelligent storytelling. And past the most basic and well-known aspects of TOS, what else are they including that has been in TOS? Not much. There's so much to explore past the most superficial aspects of TOS, this rich universe that hasn't been explored, that they're not doing. That's why I say it amounts to negative world-building. And why it's shoehorning TNG elements into TOS. Like Section 31 and Mirror Universe characters. Yeah, they came from TOS, but DS9 popularized them even more, and they shouldn't have appeared for ten more years. That's why I created that thread about what would you do if you were in charge of STD? I really wanna explore the First Federation, the Gorn, the Tholians, Roger Korby, and so much more. And from what I hear, look what they did with the elements they did include? Turned Harry Mudd into a psychotic murderer. That's just... pathetic. It reminds me of what Chuck said with regards to Voyager. He's not angry. He's disappointed. You have so much potential to be more than you are. But those in charge are out of touch, they're not the right people for the job, and it's driven by profit. It's entirely the wrong approach for a franchise like Trek that cannot sustain itself for very long.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

My main gripe with DIS has always been this; if you want to tell a story without the restraints of continuity, then set it in the far future. A hundred years or more after VOY, maybe the Klingons went through a eugenics war of their own (with the opposite outcome to ours), maybe Starfleet has become heavily militarised, maybe the Federation is experimenting with spore drive technology.

But they don't want that ... or, rather, they want to have their cake and eat it too. You guys know about Spock, right? The enterprise is popular, wanna' see it in action? But, wait, want about the borg, they're popular right?!

Is there anyone at all who is genuinely excited by the prospect of "the old things you love but slightly off"? Let's say, they make a show about Data between TNG and Nemesis but they imply that he never had a romantic relationship so that they could do that story "for the first time". Who would care other than someone who only vaguely remembered Data in the first place?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's the problem. Hardcore nerds want a tight continuity. I'd daresay most people's standards are far lower than that. Just look at the shit the average moviegoing audience will accept, like the trilogy of Bayformers films and how those break continuity. There's no intelligence to it, and something like that can't be sustained for long.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Contuinity is a component in the suspension of disbelief. Some people will believe in anything, and thus aren't affected by poor writing.

Some people don't have that option.

Anyway! Inspired by a comment in the Trek Alien Allegory thread, I just realized a funny idea to explain Picard's accent. Not sure if this qualifies for headcanon since I just thought of it, but this seemed like the best place to put it:

What if, along with all the other self-loathing and hatred of silly things such as the technological utopia in which they live, Picard's family chose to reject their French accent generations ago and intentionally adopted a British accent in order to feel superior to those around them. Jean-Luc picked up this trait simply by growing up in this environment, and while he managed to escape that horrible place by joining Starfleet, he never could quite ditch the accent.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

heres a crazy one (darn ds9 and its s7 reairing and my crazy theories ) Curzon Dax is Ezri's biological father. 1. curzon was a womaniser 2. Ezri's father is out of the picture whos to say curzon didn't meet Yanas somewhere and got busy and curzon never found out he got her pregnent.
Last edited by sayla0079 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

IIRC we hear see other French people, and none of them sound anything like French people today.