VOY: Mortal Coil Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: VOY: Mortal Coil Review

Post by Yukaphile »

It helps that Ron Moore worked on Battlestar Galactica - at least the reboot, from what I hear - and Bryan Fuller? Er, I know he worked on DS9, but what episodes did he write? He just strikes me as a nihilist in a way that... tbh, I'm not much into writing. I know life is pointless, but I still hold out a faint hint of hope there's a fair and impartial afterlife. The maddening part is you just don't know. Not till it's over. Really, if he worked on Season 1 STD, no wonder it was so bad. Bring back Ron Moore, and you could turn this whole thing around. He'd explain all the continuity errors and actually explore the potential it has with TOS, given that he's a TOS fanboy.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 am It helps that Ron Moore worked on Battlestar Galactica - at least the reboot, from what I hear - and Bryan Fuller? Er, I know he worked on DS9, but what episodes did he write? He just strikes me as a nihilist in a way that... tbh, I'm not much into writing. I know life is pointless, but I still hold out a faint hint of hope there's a fair and impartial afterlife. The maddening part is you just don't know. Not till it's over. Really, if he worked on Season 1 STD, no wonder it was so bad. Bring back Ron Moore, and you could turn this whole thing around. He'd explain all the continuity errors and actually explore the potential it has with TOS, given that he's a TOS fanboy.
Fuller wrote "The Darkness and the Light" and "Empok Nor" for DS9, both of which are mildly horror-themed and involve people being picked off one by one by crazed killers.

He wrote about 20 episodes of Voyager and while he was initially in charge of Discovery, he left early on to focus on American Gods. I'm to sure how much influence he had on the show, although female characters with male names is a recurring gimmick of his. I think his original vision for Discovery was more in the spirit of classic 60s Trek, but the show ended up being what I feared it would be when I first heard he was the show runner so dunno; he did have at least some influence on it's initial direction before parting ways.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh dear God... I really didn't like "The Darkness and the Light." It really felt regressive to Kira's character...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

And I'm only just seeing now that TDATL is an episode Chuck hasn't reviewed yet.

Feels weird, somehow.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I severely disagree with Kira's "you're guilty simply being there" assertion. I see so many people abusing that line of thinking today and it gets in the way of comforting and addressing the pain of real victims. I hate it. He's guilty because he murdered unarmed people who couldn't fight back. That's why.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:53 pm I severely disagree with Kira's "you're guilty simply being there" assertion. I see so many people abusing that line of thinking today and it gets in the way of comforting and addressing the pain of real victims. I hate it. He's guilty because he murdered unarmed people who couldn't fight back. That's why.
I was never sure whether to take Kira seriously in that or whether she was just trying to get inside of the guys head.

Although even in the final episodes of DS9, she's teaching the Cardassians to see anybody working with the Dominion as a "collaborator" and a valid target so...

I don't think it's a regression though; I think it's a conflict within Kira that they wanted to explore but not resolve one way or the other.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

By her logic, Marritza, the guy she bonded with, is guilty too.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

The problem with Kira is that deep down she knows that she did some truly messed up things but her anger towards the Cardassians and what they did tends to supersede that except in very rare circumstances.

I don't think her hypocrisy and contradictions are meant to be out-of-character; she's an emotional, paranoid, volatile character prone to mood swings.

Mirror-Kira probably should have been less a depraved, hedonistic psychopath and more Kira at her logical extreme- a murderous, intolerant, unforgiving bigot. But I guess the writers didn't want to go there.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I don't think she ever sunk as low as the Cardassians. The worst she got was killing them, and liking it, and as this guy proved, attacking unarmed people, essentially civilian populations. There's far worse you could do to people. The worst the Cardies got was still lower than that, believe me.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Well, I never really claimed that she did though.