Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by clearspira »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRPchS-siNo

Here it is: the trailer for Star Wars 9 is out. Thoughts?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Makeshift Python »

Nice teaser.

Not a great subtitle.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Nice subtitle.

Not a great teaser.
..What mirror universe?
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

JJ Abrams is really, really good at avoiding spoilers, effective teasers, and generally building hype. So by those measures the teaser works. A return by Palpatine is something that seemingly no fans were seriously discussing at this point.

At this point, I have no idea what Skywalker is "rising", the context of Palpatine's return, or any of those kind of details. I loved TLJ's teasers and trailers and didn't care for the movie at all. Some of what this teaser seems to imply is kind of problematic for me, but I'll wait and see.
The owls are not what they seem.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

I'll admit that Palpatine's laugh gave me chills in a good way but I hated TFA and TLJ so I'm not going to board the hype train.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Can't wait to check out Geekdom101's video.

Rise of Skywalker? Maybe to retcon Last Jedi? Doubtful.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Unexcited. I hope they open up new eras.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I think that if Ep 8 had been better recieved, there would be no rise of Skywalker or Palpatine in this film. We would have had a different film. I think that to counter Rian's ''subverting out expectations'', Abrams is going to give us something deliberately designed to make fans cream themselves. Luke is back, Palpatine is back, and *probably* Anakin and Yoda will be back too. That is kind of what Ep7 was too if we are honest: New Death Star, Anakin's lightsaber, The Millennium Falcon etc.

I think Ep9 will leave you thinking: ''yeah, my expectations were met''.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It'll probably be the safest of the sequel trilogy yet. Yeah, Last Jedi wasn't safe, but in its own way, it was, in having to create a big Empire Strikes Back style subversion equal to finding out the big bad dark enforcer of evil is the hero's father.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:11 pm It'll probably be the safest of the sequel trilogy yet. Yeah, Last Jedi wasn't safe, but in its own way, it was, in having to create a big Empire Strikes Back style subversion equal to finding out the big bad dark enforcer of evil is the hero's father.
Absolutely. Ep 9 will take no risks. I will make the call that I think it will be better than TLJ by a mile and probably equal with TFA. If you liked TFA then you will like this.

As for Palpatine I am going to make a guess that could be completely wrong: Snoke was Palpatine. Not directly, not some kind of body swap because Snoke is too dissimilar in personality, but a puppet. At a push maybe even something along the lines of a horcrux where his death brought Palpatine back. After all, we now know that Darth Plagus was Palpatine and Anakin's dad right? And did he not claim he could defeat death? And of all people, would Palpatine as Snoke have every reason to hunt down Luke and make Ren his next apprentice? It fits, you got to admit.