Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Jonathan101
Captain

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Jonathan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:24 pm
Jonathan101 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:44 pm It's the final story in the Skywalker saga which is why we're going to call it "Rise of Skywalker".

#NolanFinaleLogic
That's a bit low. Even for you.
I've went lower :evil:
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

With the Emperor's laugh at the end of the teaser, and Ian McDiarmid commanding, in full Palpatine voice, to "roll it again," I wouldn't be surprised if Palpatine is the Great Big Bad and that he was Force-projecting as Snoke all along. Maybe we will finally know Anakin's origins and Rey's on the same occasion. I've heard they wanted to link all the trilogies together in the last episode.

And Rey is Skywalker. As is Kylo. This title is ambiguous enough to have several meanings. Like "Return of the Jedi" meant the return of the Jedi Order through Luke and the return of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, and "The Last Jedi" could be understood as both singular and plural before we saw the movie.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Maybe we'll be getting Zombie-Luke- Skywalker will "Rise" from the grave to eat Kylos' brains!!!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh dear God, this sounds like a mess... even Legends was more consistent... how will this coincide with the new EU? It won't. And the excuse they gave for axing Legends instead of working on that alongside the new movies was "more creative freedom" and "tighter control" over continuity. And yet it gets messed up with Last Jedi? Sigh... who's in charge these days?

And yet, this is just so blatantly a Return of the Jedi homage, it's sad. I called it fan pandering on YouTube.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Usually, the Force theme is played in teasers and trailers. I've noticed they are playing Leia's theme instead. Nice hommage to Carrie Fisher.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, that was nice of them. Hat's off to whoever decided that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:28 pm Oh dear God, this sounds like a mess... even Legends was more consistent... how will this coincide with the new EU? It won't. And the excuse they gave for axing Legends instead of working on that alongside the new movies was "more creative freedom" and "tighter control" over continuity. And yet it gets messed up with Last Jedi? Sigh... who's in charge these days?

And yet, this is just so blatantly a Return of the Jedi homage, it's sad. I called it fan pandering on YouTube.
How? We had Palpatine laugh at the end, we don't see a death star except maybe as a ruin, and we don't even know what the title is referring to yet. Aside from a desert planet, which star wars loves returning to, there doesn't seem to be anything in the trailer that indicates it being a homage to Return of the Jedi.

Unless Lando being involved in the movie at all counts which would just be stupid, people wanted him back since the announcement of the sequel trilogy, finally seeing him, especially when the trio can't fill the roles of mentorship anymore, is good.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

At first I thought it was a ruined Death Star but the problem is that both of them blew up pretty thoroughly.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am At first I thought it was a ruined Death Star but the problem is that both of them blew up pretty thoroughly.
It is a ruined Death Star. They are probably on Endor.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Come on, you just know a... what is by now? Fourth? Death Star archetype or a literal Death Star is returning. Another big superweapon.