Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MixedDrops
Officer

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by MixedDrops »

Need to set the next trilogy about 500 years in the future where they've miniaturized Death Stars even more, and everyone just carries around tiny Death Star handguns or whatever.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Like Xeelee Sequence! Where you can carry a ray gun that blows up stars. Not even joking about that. Go look it up. :roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I feel Lego Batman has a challenger for Who Does The Sickest Backflips.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Looking at that Photo of the ships....we may have made a Terrible oversight. We never considered that Shmi Skywalker could have siblings, or that she may have come from another world before we meet her on Tatooine. TFA had Kylo kill a 'Clan Leader' well what if that clan is called 'Skywalker' and Shmi was ONE of it's members. That shot of the hidden city on the mountain....that's where the Clan calls home, and they play a major role in the final film.

Another potential oversight....what if Shimi lied about Anakin's conception? What if she raced off to Tatooine to escape a man she once loved but slowly discovered had turned to Darkness? A man named Palpatine?
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

*The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Theme intensifies.*
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

OMG... I would literally die of embarrassment if they made Palpatine Luke's grandfather... and yet, that's precisely what I would expect from them... sigh...

Inb4 "No, Luke, I am your grandfather!"
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

In that respect, this may not be Return of the Jedi 2.0. It may be The Last Jedi 2.0, an attempt by Abrams to redo the "damage" Johnson had done. What do you think?
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:48 am OMG... I would literally die of embarrassment if they made Palpatine Luke's grandfather... and yet, that's precisely what I would expect from them... sigh...

Inb4 "No, Luke, I am your grandfather!"
I mean...it kind of makes sense. Paul Atreides eventually learned that the Baron Harkonnene was his grandfather. This would be inline with that kind of revelation.

John Boyega mentioned that he Thought the title would be 'Heirs of the Force' though he admits a lot changed on set and he wasn't there for a lot of the scenes between Kylo Ren and Rey. With that in mind I see Kylo Ren embracing the Palpatine aspect of his bloodline while Rey embraces the Skywalker...thus both John's idea and the actual title make sense.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's stupid, period. I mean, I do love the prequels, and... this kind of retcons that in a big way. Makes Shmi a liar, and worse yet, it adds a completely unneeded layer to the whole "No, I am your father" thing.

But no, this now really feels like Abrams is trying to make Rise of Skywalker what he feels Last Jedi should have been. I'm calling it now.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:52 am In that respect, this may not be Return of the Jedi 2.0. It may be The Last Jedi 2.0, an attempt by Abrams to redo the "damage" Johnson had done. What do you think?
Too early to tell, ask me again after the first full length trailer.