Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Yukaphile »

True. Also, in response to your WMG, um... it also adds a creepy layer to what Palpatine did to Vader, and when he fucking smiled at how he'd ruined his life. "So happy I've taught you what's important in life, my barbecued son who's now trapped in a metal coffin!" And you thought Vader was the worst dad in the galaxy... and to what he tried to do to Luke...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:00 am True. Also, in response to your WMG, um... it also adds a creepy layer to what Palpatine did to Vader, and when he fucking smiled at how he'd ruined his life. "So happy I've taught you what's important in life, my barbecued son who's now trapped in a metal coffin!" And you thought Vader was the worst dad in the galaxy... and to what he tried to do to Luke...
The family that commits evil together, stays together.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You know what? Forget everything I just said. Now it's had a chance to grow on me, that might be an incredibly cool idea in a... creepy sort of way. Again, it's... not totally inconsistent with what Lucas had said about how the films were about the Skywalkers, and one big messed-up family drama. And it's very new and flies in the face of the new EU's attempts to cherry-pick Legends elements to throw into the new canon, so... the fact it's a new and fresh idea actually makes me feel good inside. That fact alone is probably why they don't do it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

No, scratch that. Changed my mind again. This isn't new. Palpatine was kind of Anakin's father because what he and Plagueis did directly caused Anakin to be born. The only new idea they could bring to this would be if he were biologically his father, which... now I'm uncertain. But if they literally rip off Legends and put it on the big screen, I would be bleeding pissed...
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

From what I understand, in the canon continuity Palpatine has already been confirmed to be the one who "fathered" Anakin (by manipulating Midichlroians) in one of the Darth Vader comics. I don't care much for the idea myself, but I guess that's always been a pretty common fan-theory alongside Plagueis.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

GODDAMN IT... why is the new canon so derivative... why is Hollywood just so damned terrified of doing something new?! I know why... money... gotta keep stuffing their pockets full of Benjamins...
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Actarus wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am
Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am At first I thought it was a ruined Death Star but the problem is that both of them blew up pretty thoroughly.
It is a ruined Death Star. They are probably on Endor.
Yes, but I'm saying if that's the case, it's a retcon, because neither Death Star left any ruins from the explosions we saw in the OT.
MixedDrops wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:37 am Need to set the next trilogy about 500 years in the future where they've miniaturized Death Stars even more, and everyone just carries around tiny Death Star handguns or whatever.
Need to add some ham-fisted political commentary where the New-New Republic is being torn apart by arguments over citizens having the Constitutional right to bear Death Stars.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

"The Chancellor's coming to get your Death Stars!" XD
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

My first thought was... welp Rian getting a walk to the backshed to get the figurative bullet in the brain

Cause this is a classic "Guys We know we screwed up... so We're gonna make it all better!"

Also Called it... Snoke's gone, Here comes Palpy to save the First order's incompetent asses

I think Writers need to learn that subversion and deconstruction only really work if the subject matter allow for it.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Wargriffin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 pm My first thought was... welp Rian getting a walk to the backshed to get the figurative bullet in the brain

Cause this is a classic "Guys We know we screwed up... so We're gonna make it all better!"

Also Called it... Snoke's gone, Here comes Palpy to save the First order's incompetent asses

I think Writers need to learn that subversion and deconstruction only really work if the subject matter allow for it.
I don't want this subversion shit with the OT heroes. It was great in Kotor 2.