The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Re: The Orville

Post by AlucardNoir »

Sir Will wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm 1) did it say how long it was in existence? And while she may be a leader now she didn't necessarily start it. She could have been recruited after she was made public.

3) what is the 10000 figure from? The colony doesn't represent all the females of the species.

"Such a low number unfortunately doesn't make the "women are born once every few generations" thing that big of a lie"

BS it doesn't. It's an extreme exaggeration that's as good as a lie.

7) yes, in many ways it does, which is why I don't care what they think. But some might and the turnaround is still welcome. You brought them up and I'm saying they're already singing praises for some episodes, especially the 2 parter.
1 - So she went from recruit to running the whole thing in what? two years? that's not how these things work.

3 - They say the colony has what 6000 female moclan? I was being generous with the 10000 number. Also, if they have billions or trillions of living moclan, and the number of female moclan is low enough, you can literally go your entire life without ever encountering a female moclan, that means the exaggeration isn't as great a lie as you make it sound.

7 - I brought them up because TNG was actually quite progressive, even by modern day standards, but it also had good stories. If the Orville continues as it has it might start to make really good episodes that might actually cater to the progressive journalists and they might actually like it. As opposed to paying lip service to their readers.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

Doesn't the leader say she's visited the place many times over the years? It's possible she wasn't the leader until very recently, after the previous one either gave it up or passed away. Being one of the most well respected people on Moclas for years despite being a woman probably helped in that decision.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

TGLS wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:09 pm Am I the only one who thought it was a little weird that the entire decision making process for the Humans was in the hands of the Admiralty? Not even lip service to the idea that there was a civilian government on Earth?
I got the feeling that they were debating how the Union fleet in particular would respond to the situation, and what recommendations they would give the civilian government. We can see that the Union fleet is widely respected among most worlds (save the Xelayans, and even then they'd likely acquiesce to advice on a security matter), so their recommendations would have a good chance of swaying a sharply divided Council.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

AlucardNoir wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:45 am
Sir Will wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm 1) did it say how long it was in existence? And while she may be a leader now she didn't necessarily start it. She could have been recruited after she was made public.

3) what is the 10000 figure from? The colony doesn't represent all the females of the species.

"Such a low number unfortunately doesn't make the "women are born once every few generations" thing that big of a lie"

BS it doesn't. It's an extreme exaggeration that's as good as a lie.

7) yes, in many ways it does, which is why I don't care what they think. But some might and the turnaround is still welcome. You brought them up and I'm saying they're already singing praises for some episodes, especially the 2 parter.
1 - So she went from recruit to running the whole thing in what? two years? that's not how these things work.

3 - They say the colony has what 6000 female moclan? I was being generous with the 10000 number. Also, if they have billions or trillions of living moclan, and the number of female moclan is low enough, you can literally go your entire life without ever encountering a female moclan, that means the exaggeration isn't as great a lie as you make it sound.

7 - I brought them up because TNG was actually quite progressive, even by modern day standards, but it also had good stories. If the Orville continues as it has it might start to make really good episodes that might actually cater to the progressive journalists and they might actually like it. As opposed to paying lip service to their readers.
There's a smuggling network to coordinate. It's not unreasonable that she'd be visiting Moclus while her vice-rebel-leader handles things on the colony.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I thought it was OK, and the ending compromise was good. You don't always get what you want. But if you try sometime you find you get what you need.

Tony Todd was good as always - I didn't recognize him until his speech before the council, and wouldn't have then if I hadn't seen Prelude to Axanar. It's a little odd that Bortus went with the away team and Talla was left in command other than the other way around, but I suppose it makes sense for dramatic reasons. I wish Sirtis had been given a meatier role, but it was nice to see her.

I think MacFarlane has a plan for this. Maybe we'll find out why the Moclans really don't want females around. It can't be that toilet seat thing; they only pee once year, and don't even use a toilet.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:23 pm I thought it was OK, and the ending compromise was good. You don't always get what you want. But if you try sometime you find you get what you need.

Tony Todd was good as always - I didn't recognize him until his speech before the council, and wouldn't have then if I hadn't seen Prelude to Axanar. It's a little odd that Bortus went with the away team and Talla was left in command other than the other way around, but I suppose it makes sense for dramatic reasons. I wish Sirtis had been given a meatier role, but it was nice to see her.

I think MacFarlane has a plan for this. Maybe we'll find out why the Moclans really don't want females around. It can't be that toilet seat thing; they only pee once year, and don't even use a toilet.
That's gotta be awkward when other species visit.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

''Oh, btw I have a secret colony of females we've smuggled, I'll take the baby'' is not how you keep your secret colony secret, even if she was only taking to Captain Mercer. She had no way of knowing she could trust Captain Mercer or the Orville's crew back in season one - she just met these people. Had they not come across her colony I doubt she would have ever mentioned it either - not when you have 6,000 colonists to protect. And that's just the people they managed to smuggle to the colony - who knows how many female births are surgically converted.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Weird seeing Greyson in green.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

I have to assume next week is going to deal with the altered timeline thanks to this week's episode.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Sir Will wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:17 pm 1) Looking at production codes, episode 2 was moved to be episode 4. Episode 12 was moved to season 2 but added to to make it work in its new spot. And I don't know if the order was Fox's doing or theirs. That's not that bad. And what huge plot holes and inconsistencies?
Are production codes necessarily reflective of intended episode order? Babylon 5 recorded Chrysalis (ep 122, prod code 112) before Signs and Portents (ep 113, I think prod code 116).
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins