Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I gotta say that Episode 1, 8, and 9 each did a good job for the trailers making me anticipate the movie. Just funny how much I anticipated those first two and I had a certain amount of indifference to each one some point after seeing it.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My worst fear is a total 180 on Luke's character. That suddenly, he's "the Luke fans wanted" and it's as if Last Jedi never happened. Lucas did that to Jar Jar, so Abrams could definitely do that with Last Jedi. As much as I hate what they did to Luke in canon, I gotta be honest and say that it was something new, turning Luke into a bitter, nihilistic loner. Now if they undo that, and make him Grandmaster Luke without any buildup, what's the point? How is that special? It's just more contradictions and more continuity errors and Legends getting the short end of the stick.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Luke's going all X-Men-Cerebro on padawans.
..What mirror universe?
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

I mean, Luke put his faith in Rey by the end of TLJ, so if he appears in TRoS as a force ghost or whatever he's not going to be that cynical character we met in TLJ.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 am My worst fear is a total 180 on Luke's character. That suddenly, he's "the Luke fans wanted" and it's as if Last Jedi never happened.
They can't win.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Wargriffin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 pm I think Writers need to learn that subversion and deconstruction only really work if the subject matter allow for it.
Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 pm Not simply the subject matter, but the story.

The problem with the subversions of TLJ is that it messed with the narrative set-up that came before it, both in previous movie and in all the other ones, making them feel like a waste.

In other words, a shocking swerve- a twist for the sake of a twist, no matter the consequences to what's going on around it.
Exactly. If all you do is undermine the existing story but add nothing of your own, you aren't deconstructing the tale, you're just tearing it down.

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:32 amThey can't win.
Telling a compelling story without playing a metagame with your audience is a good start.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

I would just hope the movie isn't a reactionary backpedal running back to nostalgia. Disney is not a typically reactionary so I won't go about making such judgements until more trailers and the film comes out.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:32 am
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 am My worst fear is a total 180 on Luke's character. That suddenly, he's "the Luke fans wanted" and it's as if Last Jedi never happened.
They can't win.
Yes they can, openly commit to the basic values of thye OT fior a new trilogy and open up a new era. Having an open right winger as director with an unsubversive outlkook on SW would ironcally also help. Just for one movie to make it clear that it won't be an ideological partisan hackfest. Adapting some EU would also be neat. Not like their scripts were great so far.
MrL1992 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:16 am I would just hope the movie isn't a reactionary backpedal running back to nostalgia. Disney is not a typically reactionary so I won't go about making such judgements until more trailers and the film comes out.
It's publicly traded company so....

Greed!!!! Fuck yeah!!!!!!

Wargriffin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:48 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:24 pm
Wargriffin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 pm My first thought was... welp Rian getting a walk to the backshed to get the figurative bullet in the brain

Cause this is a classic "Guys We know we screwed up... so We're gonna make it all better!"

Also Called it... Snoke's gone, Here comes Palpy to save the First order's incompetent asses

I think Writers need to learn that subversion and deconstruction only really work if the subject matter allow for it.
I don't want this subversion shit with the OT heroes. It was great in Kotor 2.
Kotor 2 can get away with it cause Chris 'He even admits it' that the scenario is largely you having to rely on someone whose HEAVILY biased in their opinion on the matter. Kotor2 is subversive but it never tries and pretends its being objective in that subversion

TLJ is kinda like Man of Steel or Dawn of Justice... Its trying to be thought provoking by trying to DIRTY up the subject... when in reality its someone WHO thinks they known how to write subversively but fail cause they have no point behind it.
Man of Steel got a basic update. it was not subversion. I had no idea that it had such lofty goals.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:25 am

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:16 am I would just hope the movie isn't a reactionary backpedal running back to nostalgia. Disney is not a typically reactionary so I won't go about making such judgements until more trailers and the film comes out.
Whose stock is doing pretty damn well.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am
Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:25 am

Whose stock is doing pretty damn well.
Does not mean investors don't want better and i curious how comeptitive their streaming service will be.