Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by MrL1992 »

Ordo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/201 ... gh-walker/

An interesting view of things.

Personally, I'm now heavily leaking towards "Skywalker' referring to a new order of Force users, succeeding the Jedi. Especially after learning that Lucas initially considered using the name for that purpose instead of Jedi. Many religions have started emerging from another.

And then started persecuting and killing each other but here's hoping they keep it civil!
So...the Jedi go through a rebranding...and begin again with a new name and new outlook on the universe, the force and their place in it all? Could work.
And thematically fits you consider the existence of the Resistance and First Order.

Please don't call the Sith successor the 'Starkillers', too edgelord-y.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

What I hope is that if the Skywalkers are the new Force users then they aren't those little kids we saw at the end of TLJ. I find kids to be incredibly annoying on film if the actors are not the cream of the child acting crop.
''Are you going to take me away on YOUR STARSHIP???''
''Why do I need a Turboman doll when I've got the real TURBOMAN RIGHT HERE??''
Ugh. I saw nothing from broom brat that he was much different.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 pm
Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:56 am
Actarus wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am
Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am At first I thought it was a ruined Death Star but the problem is that both of them blew up pretty thoroughly.
It is a ruined Death Star. They are probably on Endor.
Yes, but I'm saying if that's the case, it's a retcon, because neither Death Star left any ruins from the explosions we saw in the OT.
It was an 80s special effect explosion where an object miraculously turned into a fourth of july firecracker within a frame. Not exactly the most realistic depiction of a large space station exploding. I can roll with the idea that large chunks of debris crashed onto the the surface of Endor.
A huge chunk of a moon-sized space station crash lands on Endor and our heroes...don't care, their having a party with flesh-eating bear people.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Kind of like how they perform a medal ceremony for Luke and Han (and not Chewie) even though they should probably be evacuating ASAP since the Empire is aware of their location.

YUB NUB!!!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I prefer the 1997 Special Edition score. Yub Nub sucked. Sorry to your nostalgia, but... it does, really. At least to me.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

In fairness Chewie may not have wanted a medal. What would a wookie want with one anyway?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 pm I prefer the 1997 Special Edition score. Yub Nub sucked. Sorry to your nostalgia, but... it does, really. At least to me.
Nah, I agree with this. Though to get more nitpicky, I prefer the 1997 version where it's both the new music AND Sebastian Shaw as Ghost Anakin. I actually snagged the LaserDisc release of the Special Edition trilogy not too long ago, as it was never released on either DVD or Blu-ray.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I agree with that too. I hate Hayden as Ghost Anakin. He just looks too damn arrogant.

And where can I get that too? I miss the 1997 Special Edition. :(
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Ebay of course.

I actually don't mind the idea of Hayden showing up at the end of ROTJ, the problem is how Lucas did it. He basically took test footage of Hayden from pre-production of ROTS and repurposed it, hence Anakin looking directly into the camera at one point.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

1997 Special Edition is best edition, but only available on VHS I think sadly :(

I remember coming across it recently in a charity shop- foolishly, I didn't but it.