Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Post by Makeshift Python »

Jonathan101 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 pm 1997 Special Edition is best edition, but only available on VHS I think sadly :(

I remember coming across it recently in a charity shop- foolishly, I didn't but it.
Forget VHS, it's all about the LaserDisc!

Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What's a LaserDisc?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

They store your identity and function as weapons on the Game Grid.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Basically the precursor to DVD. If you were a huge cinemaphile in the 80s/90s you’d likely be buying LaserDisc instead of VHS for your collection. Though it was of higher quality and in widescreen, it had drawbacks where in the middle of the movie you’d have to change discs between scenes because you could only fit a certain amount of footage. Once DVD was able to fit a whole movie on one disc that’s what eventually killed VHS.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Um... can you pop into an old-fashioned computer tower?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

They are the size of LP records, they weren't made for computers. Besides, they were released in 1978, there were no personal computer towers to play it.

I suggest you look up Techmoan on YouTube if you want to learn more about LaserDisc. I also suggest you check out his video on CED if you are curious about obsolete video disc formats. Or any obsolete audio/video media, he really finds some interesting formats to cover.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Zoinksberg wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:22 am They are the size of LP records, they weren't made for computers. Besides, they were released in 1978, there were no personal computer towers to play it.
As odd as it sounds, apparently you could use a LaserDisc drive for desktop computers back in the day. There's the James Bond film LICENCE TO KILL that features Bond using a computer that featured one:

http://www.starringthecomputer.com/computer.html?c=394

Though I'm pretty sure Bond put in a CD-ROM in the LD drive as opposed to an LD disc, as CDs were compatible in most LD players/drives.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I like the Harmy un-Special Editions, personally. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I just really want the 1997 Special Edition, not the post-2004 Special Edition, but I can never find those when I download them offline! Now I feel the pain original effects fanboys go through. I mean, I think Alderaan blowing up with the original FX looks like shit, but if you want that, there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to get it. Bah, capitalism!
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

The more I think about the Skywalkers asJedo successors, the more it adds up.

When one religion emerges from another, its common to name it after its immortalised founder. Considering what happened at the end of the previous movie, Like standing against a whole army and seemingly being unscathed abd then the kids discussing his legend right at the end.

Also consider Luke's origins as a humble boy from the desert.

And just from the titles 'The Last Jedi' -> 'The Rise of Skywalker'. Flows pretty well.