VOY: Mortal Coil Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Darmani
Officer

Re: VOY: Mortal Coil Review

Post by Darmani »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:24 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:48 pm Determinism doesn't deride the concept of opportunity and choice.
Of course it does. How can you possibly have free will if everything is already decided for you? You are on a railroad from birth until death.
Well for one I don't believe in free will. At least not in the definition that's implied by that contacts. All you get is choices and consequences. But there are some choices you can't make and there are some consequences that are entirely out of your control. But that doesn't change who you are is determined by your choices. If no matter what choice you make today you have a heart attack when you go to sleep that doesn't mean that you don't have free will or you didn't have choices and opportunities. Just like just because someone dies in a plane crash later that day doesn't mean helping them go to the airport wasn't a Act of Charity on your part
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Darmani wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:23 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:48 pm Determinism doesn't deride the concept of opportunity and choice.
Of course it does. How can you possibly have free will if everything is already decided for you? You are on a railroad from birth until death.
Well for one I don't believe in free will. At least not in the definition that's implied by that contacts. All you get is choices and consequences. But there are some choices you can't make and there are some consequences that are entirely out of your control. But that doesn't change who you are is determined by your choices. If no matter what choice you make today you have a heart attack when you go to sleep that doesn't mean that you don't have free will or you didn't have choices and opportunities. Just like just because someone dies in a plane crash later that day doesn't mean helping them go to the airport wasn't a Act of Charity on your part
Free will for all intensive purposes involves just having more choices than fewer. Using it to rebuke religious fate or scientific determination is nonetheless aspirational.
..What mirror universe?
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:32 pm
Because choice and agency. God is the one giving you "free will." He happens to know everything, but that doesn't mean that he's deciding for you.
It set up all the initial parameters, so yes it does.

ETA: And the phrase is "for all intents and purposes" not intensive purposes.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

TrueMetis wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:52 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:32 pm
Because choice and agency. God is the one giving you "free will." He happens to know everything, but that doesn't mean that he's deciding for you.
It set up all the initial parameters, so yes it does.
Yep. It set up the parameters which included free will... There's nothing I've heard about God forcing you to acknowledge him, just that he's always with you :).
ETA: And the phrase is "for all intents and purposes" not intensive purposes.
Thanks lol.
..What mirror universe?
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

There's actually one kind of fun minority Christian view called open theism, which holds that God doesn't know the future (as a consequence of libertarian free will). It's not the orthodox position, but it does put an interesting spin on certain passages where God seems surprised, changes his mind, or goes with a Plan B or C.

The free will vs. determinism question is hardly a new one in Christian/theological circles, and it gets waay too involved, complicated, and off-topic for me to want to get into here. I'll just say that how a person answers that question has profound implications on their interpretation of the Garden of Eden passage and theodicy (i.e. theological or philosophical attempts to explain evil and/or suffering) in general. The one thing everyone seems to agree on, which some people here seem to be missing, is that it's not actually about the fruit.
The owls are not what they seem.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:13 am I'll just say that how a person answers that question has profound implications on their interpretation of the Garden of Eden passage and theodicy (i.e. theological or philosophical attempts to explain evil and/or suffering) in general. The one thing everyone seems to agree on, which some people here seem to be missing, is that it's not actually about the fruit.
I've talked about the garden in another thread. My take was more about latent ramifications of eating the fruit, not the act itself, so I'm not sure how that fits with what you're saying here.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That would be interesting. It reminds me of what Bill Murray said in Groundhog's Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VF5P7qLaEQ
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:37 am That would be interesting. It reminds me of what Bill Murray said in Groundhog's Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VF5P7qLaEQ
He said a lot of things.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

"Well, maybe the real God uses tricks. You know, maybe he's not omnipotent. Maybe he's just been around so long he knows everything."
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah I thought you might mean that one. Not certain how it reminded you of that, but cheers.
..What mirror universe?