Star Trek (TNG): Identity Crisis

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
cdrood
Officer

Re: Star Trek (TNG): Identity Crisis

Post by cdrood »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote:Standard procedure for away missions should be a body camera on each team member and a dedicated "Away Mission Control" Room on the ship to monitor what the teams are doing and provide a constant communication to the ship. Unfortunately, anything like that really only happens when it is required for the plot to work.
Or, you know, some kind of suit that prevents infections and parasites from getting in. The main problem with episodes like this is the premise requires them ignore what would be the most basic caution upon going to an alien planet, especially one where something strange has already occurred.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Durandal_1707 wrote:
ScreamingDoom wrote:
griffeytrek wrote: They'll get right on those suggestions. Right after they rediscoer keys, security passwords other than "password", seatbelts, bolting the furniture to the floor in a moving ship, and actually making the bridge consoles out of a material that is not prone to explode on impact.
And fuses and/or circuit breakers. And cellphone cameras. And memory cards (so they won't have to keep several dozen PADDs around). Those are some mysterious 20th century tech, I tells ya.
Cell-phone cameras are 21st-century tech, not 20th. I'd argue that memory cards are 21st as well, despite the fact that rudimentary flash memory devices started showing up in the 90s, for the same reason that we consider the automobile to be a 20th-century tech despite being invented in 1886—it was the 21st century when they really took off. I mean, one of the most popular digital cameras of the 90s used floppy disks as storage, for crying out loud. :P
No memory cards were around before the year 2000. The were the size of old PCMCIA cards that laptops used, held about 80MB and cost about $1000. I know this because I was in IT at a company where the CEO fell in love with them due to the capacity over a floppy disk. Gettig the drivers for the PC card reader to load on a DOS 5/Windows 3.11 PC was always fun.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

The main reason for the vast majority of shows not accepting fan/unsolicited scripts is due to litigation. Truly original ideas are few and far between and even very good stories are usually similar to something that's already out there. If two people come up with similar ideas, it's less complicated for the show producters and writers to simply not read FAN A's unsolicited story rather than deal with the fallout when PROFESSIONAL WRITER B's story has similar elements.
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

I recently started watching TNG on Netflix and this is easily one of my favorite stand alone episodes, though some of the shows with two episode story stand out more.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

cdrood wrote:
Durandal_1707 wrote:
ScreamingDoom wrote:
griffeytrek wrote: They'll get right on those suggestions. Right after they rediscoer keys, security passwords other than "password", seatbelts, bolting the furniture to the floor in a moving ship, and actually making the bridge consoles out of a material that is not prone to explode on impact.
And fuses and/or circuit breakers. And cellphone cameras. And memory cards (so they won't have to keep several dozen PADDs around). Those are some mysterious 20th century tech, I tells ya.
Cell-phone cameras are 21st-century tech, not 20th. I'd argue that memory cards are 21st as well, despite the fact that rudimentary flash memory devices started showing up in the 90s, for the same reason that we consider the automobile to be a 20th-century tech despite being invented in 1886—it was the 21st century when they really took off. I mean, one of the most popular digital cameras of the 90s used floppy disks as storage, for crying out loud. :P
No memory cards were around before the year 2000. The were the size of old PCMCIA cards that laptops used, held about 80MB and cost about $1000. I know this because I was in IT at a company where the CEO fell in love with them due to the capacity over a floppy disk. Gettig the drivers for the PC card reader to load on a DOS 5/Windows 3.11 PC was always fun.
"despite the fact that rudimentary flash memory devices started showing up in the 90s"