Flesh and Bone (BSG)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Flesh and Bone (BSG)

Post by MadAmosMalone »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/bsg/bsgs01e08.php

Wow, has it really been five years since our last Battlestar review?
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Re: Flesh and Bone (BSG)

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

The first season of BSG really is fantastic. I can understand people thinking the show fell apart by mid-season three (even if I don't totally agree), but almost every episode at this point is incredibly tight. There's a ton going on with the characters, the plot of the specific episode as well as its contribution to the overarching storyline, the story's theme, philosophical musings, and so on. As Chuck alluded to, the episode could be dismissed as a 24 interrogation episode and yet another "hot take" on an issue that was in the news. I wouldn't deny that the episode is addressing that issue, but the great thing about BSG is that there are layers of subtext there.
The owls are not what they seem.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

I am still a bit sour over how this show ended. It tried to tie so much into our Earth's culture and origins that it literally wrote itself into a corner at the end and faux explained the ending and how it can be possible.

Not sure how many of us have actually see this show, but I found the ending just unsatisfying,
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

let's not talk about the 3rd and 4th season while we are talking about episodes from the good seasons ok?

Something that always bugged me about this model of cylon is how he seems to completely believe some of the religious bs he spouts while the other models mostly just use it as tapestry
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Something that always bugged me about this show is that once they figure out there are multiple Cylons running around with the same face, they never actually use that information to ferret out infiltrators. Really, how hard would it have been to distribute this guy's face to the fleet, with instructions to apprehend on sight?

On a larger scale, since they're keeping an exact head-count of the human race anyway, why not institute a mandatory photograph and fingerprint program? Then they can see if anyone face/print shows up in more than one place at a time.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Did the Cylons ever have more than one of the same model in the fleet at the same time, though?
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Yeah, the one played by Dean Stockwell was doubled up in the fleet, that's how they officially figured out he was a Cylon. And they ran into problems with multiple Boomers.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

excalibur wrote:I am still a bit sour over how this show ended. It tried to tie so much into our Earth's culture and origins that it literally wrote itself into a corner at the end and faux explained the ending and how it can be possible.

Not sure how many of us have actually see this show, but I found the ending just unsatisfying,
Everyone complains about the ending but... considering the show had prophecies that were consistently right and characters claiming to be angels right from the start, (even if the audience assumed that part wasn't true) it wasn't really out of place. But people tend to not like it when the end of their sci-fi mystery turns out to be something even vaguely mystical or religious, it's the same problem people had with LOST... nevermind that the religious stuff was a heavy element the entire time.

If anything, I have a much larger problem with them eventually revealing there were five Cylons that only had one copy at a time, and that those five for some reason had amnesia and were ALL in the main cast on the main ship, having all somehow miraculously survived the destruction of the planet and all the losses while in space. That was what pushed it too far for me.
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Also why are they the Final Five...

They are the original Five
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

RobbyB1982 wrote:Yeah, the one played by Dean Stockwell was doubled up in the fleet, that's how they officially figured out he was a Cylon.
No, they figured out he was a Cylon when the one from Caprica came over as an envoy. There had only been one Cavil in the fleet.
And they ran into problems with multiple Boomers.
Same thing. Boomer was the only Number Eight in the fleet—Athena came from outside, and IIRC they'd already figured out Boomer was a Cylon by that point anyway.