Nazis and the Nature of Evil

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Nazis and the Nature of Evil

Post by Yukaphile »

Eh, lots of people in charge of government and in the armies on all sides back then were savages, looking to exploit the opportunities before them for personal, sadistic gain. At least that's lessened in the past 70 years. But it's something we should still be ashamed of, and for people's views today, who completely misunderstand the point or fall prey to the bad messaging and bad history going on.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 pm Eh, lots of people in charge of government and in the armies on all sides back then were savages, looking to exploit the opportunities before them for personal, sadistic gain. At least that's lessened in the past 70 years. But it's something we should still be ashamed of, and for people's views today, who completely misunderstand the point or fall prey to the bad messaging and bad history going on.
You can't be ashamed of anything you've not done personally.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Genocide is easy if you just stop seeing a certain group of people as people.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:06 am Genocide is easy if you just stop seeing a certain group of people as people.
like I said, there is no circumstance were I would do that. I will never believe that killing is acceptable in any context other then defense of one's self or others. and the conspiracy thing the Nazis perpetuated about the Jewish people doesn't count as harm to society at large, I'm talking about immediate harm.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I feel shame for all we've done, looking at something someone has done and knowing that's another human being who chose to descend to a level I never would. Whether it's mass rape or mass murder, or both, doesn't matter. They willingly chose that, and that's the sickening part. And yet look at people who deny the mass rapes or the Holocaust to this day. A lot of it is ignorance and wanting to push a political narrative, true, but... how much is just simple naivete? They're not rapists or murderers, who get off on such evil things, so they find it hard to comprehend how somebody else could, in droves? Perhaps like Dragon Ball Fan, who finds it hard to put himself in the mind of someone like that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am I feel shame for all we've done, looking at something someone has done and knowing that's another human being who chose to descend to a level I never would. Whether it's mass rape or mass murder, or both, doesn't matter. They willingly chose that, and that's the sickening part. And yet look at people who deny the mass rapes or the Holocaust to this day. A lot of it is ignorance and wanting to push a political narrative, true, but... how much is just simple naivete? They're not rapists or murderers, who get off on such evil things, so they find it hard to comprehend how somebody else could, in droves? Perhaps like Dragon Ball Fan, who finds it hard to put himself in the mind of someone like that.
We?

I am not a some dirt old ww2 vet.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I am no soldier, or government leader period. Yet I do feel guilty for what they do. We could do better, as a race.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm I am no soldier, or government leader period. Yet I do feel guilty for what they do. We could do better, as a race.
When did you join the Borg?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

and to clarify more, I can also see how someone can be molded by circumstance into being something like a psychopath but not really, like a horrible life or indoctrination into a bad ideology but those individuals' sense of empathy would still show in some form and I still don't buy that those like Hiter, who were at the top and couldn't even make an argument of just doing what he had to, had any good in them.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:53 pm and to clarify more, I can also see how someone can be molded by circumstance into being something like a psychopath but not really, like a horrible life or indoctrination into a bad ideology but those individuals' sense of empathy would still show in some form and I still don't buy that those like Hiter, who were at the top and couldn't even make an argument of just doing what he had to, had any good in them.
He loved the doggos.