Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Full Moon

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Deledrius wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 pm
kyuven wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:44 pm And honestly, I love it. Sure a lot of tension can be lost, but it also ups the stakes when it DOES happen. And good writers can really make it work.

Plus when you can't just murder characters you don't like, it encourages you to actually DO something with them.
Indeed. In my experience, shows where everyone is dying all the time without narrative weight or justification are the ones that tend to lose tension. Full Moon managed to maintain that tension by having it be rare and meaningful.
Aotrs Commander wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm I entirely agree. I think the big advantage of a "nominal children's show" appears to be that there are some limitations about what you are allowed to do. Necessity being the mother of invention, putting a break on that crap seems to give you rather better story-telling.

Character death in particular has moved from a tool to be used sparingly at critical moments to something to be abused for limited shock value where it appears that quantity is believed to important and that many character deaths have geometically more impact than one.
Exactly!
It's okay, you can say Game of Thrones.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 pm It's okay, you can say Game of Thrones.
I haven't seen that. Is it guilty of this, too?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

One might go so far as to say that senseless shock-value character deaths is GoT's brand, right up there with rape, beheadings, and incest.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I haven't seen Game of Thrones either, though it seems to be generating a LOT of buzz. Hell, Trump likes quoting from them, much to their dismay. :)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

While I enjoyed GoT from beginning to end I can understand why some people have problem with it considering how far it tends to go time to time with all deaths in it. In that sense with GoT same advice that I give to people with Zeta Gundam is fitting. Don't get attached to any characters when you don't know who will end up dying.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 pm It's okay, you can say Game of Thrones.
I was as much referring to Marvel and DC comics in the last few years. Well, more than a few. The best example being the New X-Men run where they killed so many characters that my reaction became complete apathy and which was what cemented my opinion on character death.

(But, yes, Game of Thrones is also something that I have no interest in watching or reading about.)
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 pm
jstrahan wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:42 pm I guess, after five years, it's time to change my avatar. :)
Yeah, i was wondering why you decided your online face should be represented by the result of Frosty's magic hat being put on a crunchy sock.
I suppose that when Chuck starts reviewing Full Metal Panic, I'll change it to something appropriate. But...didn't Chuck say it reminded him of a spermatozoon? Ah! I Googled the 'crunchy sock' term and I see what you mean. :)
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I can't deny that it would be interesting to see Chuck review first FMP considering how it switches between serious plot and high school slap stick comedy.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:57 pm I can't deny that it would be interesting to see Chuck review first FMP considering how it switches between serious plot and high school slap stick comedy.
Well, FMP is in the pipeline (for several years now). You will get your wish soon. :)
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds_LPs9 ... rt_radio=1

(for some reason, this video was made private)