Godzilla: King of the Monsters

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Got back from seeing it, I personally thought it was pretty damn fun; great action, great effects, great music and sound. Yeah, I do think maybe some of the characters could have used some work but I had one hell of a good time.

Seriously, it gave us some of the best Kaiju fights ever put on the screen and some insanely awesome moments that aren't likely to be topped.

Long Live The King.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Post by Mecha82 »

I haven't seen this one yet but from what I heard it's good for American made Godzilla movie. Not that that's difficult to do when you have Emmerich's Godzilla in Name Only and Godzilla 2014 to compare to but still. If some one hasn't already figured it out by now I am huge nerd and one of things that I like are Japanese Godzilla movies since Godzilla 1984 as well as original one from 1954.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 pm I haven't seen this one yet but from what I heard it's good for American made Godzilla movie. Not that that's difficult to do when you have Emmerich's Godzilla in Name Only and Godzilla 2014 to compare to but still. If some one hasn't already figured it out by now I am huge nerd and one of things that I like are Japanese Godzilla movies since Godzilla 1984 as well as original one from 1954.
I have seen almost all of the original Japanese Godzilla movies and to be quite honest a lot of them aren't very good. Hell, if I were being brutally honest Emmerich's Godzilla is far better (film and character-wise) than a number of them. They suffer from being boring or silly, sometimes unintentionally so, with bland characters that you instantly forget. But there are some damn good ones I'd recommend like the original, Ghidora the Three Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. King Ghidora (cheesy and stupid but fun as hell), Godzilla vs. Destroyah, most of the ones with MechaGodzilla are pretty fun, and my personal favorite is Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidora: Giant Monsters All Out Attack, that's a must watch in my opinion.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Well to be honest I am not really fan of most Showa era Godzilla movies because of how silly those are but I don't deny that those do have they draw for those that do like them. That said Godzilla 1954 is classic that has never been retconned from franchise. It's also very first Tokusatsu, Japanese special effects movie or show. So Power Rangers fans can thank Godzilla 1954 for leading to Super Sentai that in turn was adapted into Power Rangers.

My problem with Emmerich one is that it's not really Godzilla movie. Monster in it isn't anything like Godzilla and it feels like giant monster movie that had name Godzilla slapped for brand. It's why I call it Godzilla in Name Only (or GINO). Then again Emmerich doesn't respect, care, like and understand Godzilla at all so really there was no way end result could had been anything else than it was. Which is why it's so fun to me to see Zilla get his ass kicked by actual Godzilla in Godzilla: Final Wars and get insulted by alien who send him to do battle with King of the Monsters.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 pm My problem with Emmerich one is that it's not really Godzilla movie. Monster in it isn't anything like Godzilla and it feels like giant monster movie that had name Godzilla slapped for brand. It's why I call it Godzilla in Name Only (or GINO). Then again Emmerich doesn't respect, care, like and understand Godzilla at all so really there was no way end result could had been anything else than it was. Which is why it's so fun to me to see Zilla get his ass kicked by actual Godzilla in Godzilla: Final Wars and get insulted by alien who send him to do battle with King of the Monsters.
And yet they still rip off Emmerich by plagiarizing Independence Day, so...

Yeah, I honestly don't think Godzilla 98 is anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be, but it's more of a remake of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, which original Godzilla was seen as an inferior rip off of back in the day. Not helped by the fact that Godzilla was originally supposed to be a 'gorilla and whale hybrid with a head resembling a mushroom cloud' (no, seriously, that's the description I've read from multiple sources) and then Beast from 20,000 Fathoms came out and they were like 'We gotta make it like that'.

But still, Godzilla turned out to be far more popular than Beast any day of the week, so there's that.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 pm My problem with Emmerich one is that it's not really Godzilla movie. Monster in it isn't anything like Godzilla and it feels like giant monster movie that had name Godzilla slapped for brand. It's why I call it Godzilla in Name Only (or GINO). Then again Emmerich doesn't respect, care, like and understand Godzilla at all so really there was no way end result could had been anything else than it was. Which is why it's so fun to me to see Zilla get his ass kicked by actual Godzilla in Godzilla: Final Wars and get insulted by alien who send him to do battle with King of the Monsters.
Do you mean that Godzilla: Final Wars ripped off Independence Day? To be fair Godzilla had done "aliens use giant monsters to attack humans"-plot already several times (aliens in Godzilla universe are always antagonists) and ID4 itself was pretty much more cheesy take on World of the Worlds so it wasn't original at all. Sure with Final Wars they went even bigger with all death and destruction but those have always been part of franchise. From very beginning in fact.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:08 pm
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54 pm
Do you mean that Godzilla: Final Wars ripped off Independence Day? To be fair Godzilla had done "aliens use giant monsters to attack humans"-plot already several times (aliens in Godzilla universe are always antagonists) and ID4 itself was pretty much more cheesy take on World of the Worlds so it wasn't original at all. Sure with Final Wars they went even bigger with all death and destruction but those have always been part of franchise. From very beginning in fact.
No, I mean the scene where the one dude who had been controlled by the aliens sacrifices himself to blow up the aliens' shield. Really brought to mind the scene from the scene in Independence Day where Russell Case sacrifices himself to take down the ship... without the iconic one-liner, sadly.

Anyway, KotM makes me wonder if Kong vs. Godzilla will be smaller in scale and since a... certain device is used in KotM, will a certain Devil-Looking Kaiju appear in the series.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I could be wrong but from what I understand King Kong is going to be bigger when he fights Godzilla since in Skull Island they pretty much stated that size that King Kong was during events of that movie wasn't his final size and that he was going to grow even bigger.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 pm I could be wrong but from what I understand King Kong is going to be bigger when he fights Godzilla since in Skull Island they pretty much stated that size that King Kong was during events of that movie wasn't his final size and that he was going to grow even bigger.
No, that's pretty much what was said in Skull Island. I mean, they have to up Kong's size, otherwise it's be a pretty short fight and movie.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I really enjoyed it - there's a tonne I don't know about Godzilla but my local Blockbuster (back when there were local Blockbusters) had a bunch of the old films in its stock, and this gave me a similar kind of feeling to what I remember. Something that stuck in my mind, especially in contrast to the other western efforts, was how much fun the humans were allowed to have - very little time wasted trying to convince sceptical authority figures (and what little of that there was was pushed through nice and quick), plenty of charging around in a flying headquarters superjet and enacting the craziest plans possible to help out. All it was missing was an actual flying saucer getting stuck into the mix somehow, but there's more films to come.

So yeah, fun times.