Democratic Primary News Thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Rasp
Officer

Re: Democratic Primary News Thread

Post by Rasp »

Big problem with polls these days is getting people under the age of 50 in them in most cases even when they do the pollsters don't want to hear from them so I'd not be putting any stock whatsoever in polling today.

My interest is in policy anyway and a depressing number of candidates have no platform. Biden seems to be slowly sinking but its impossible to judge as the polls are being run. Bidens record is racist AF anyway he shilled for the 1998 crime bill he worked to convince the democratic party to not support integration back in the day. I'm not feeling this 'But Obama' thing that seems to be his only platform. If people wanted 'But Obama' Clinton would have won by a landslide, college or no.

Yang has plans, Warren will not shut up about all her plans, Even Bernie has put forward plans. Biden will not even put forth the appearance of having anything to say. All I get from his supporters is "obammmmmmma obammmmma" well I didn't like obammmmma in the first place what else ya got?
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well a loose bet, I think he'll be interesting in debates. I mean if he's running for a reason other then 'cause he's popular.

Harris is really big into civil rights, so I wonder how her platforming will go surrounding that as a big focus.

Yes, Warren has thoughts on damn near everything. I've always liked her since around 2016.
Power laces... alright.
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:38 am Harris is really big into civil rights, so I wonder how her platforming will go surrounding that as a big focus.
Harris's civil rights cred is all hot air she's a cop look at her record as AG it's about as racist as you would expect. There was not a young black man she did not want to see behind bars and she stacked the deck to make damn sure they stayed there. It was downright vile and I will never vote for someone like that. She was in a position to change things for the better and instead chose to be a bloodthirsty monster.

She was more than complicit is the cycle of police brutality she reveled in it, she thrived in it. She defended the indefensible with fervor and I would admire the hell out of it if it weren't so... ya know... evil.

I don't like using the word evil I'm going back and thinking about taking it back but... then I remember her record and I think... no she had the choice not to cross the line and she never once looked back.

Am I being too harsh? am I being unfair? was it really that bad? and then I remember... yeah it is that bad... sometimes you just gotta throw up your hands and say. Well I tried to play devils advocate but... nope. I tried to see her side I did but... no... just... no.

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

For as much as Biden's being put on the chopping block, I would think Harris got the same speculative treatment if it's as severe as you say.
Power laces... alright.
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:57 am For as much as Biden's being put on the chopping block, I would think Harris got the same speculative treatment if it's as severe as you say.
Its because nobody really thinks she has a shot with the race as it is. If Biden explodes and she becomes the establishment front-runner then she might get the same heat.

* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019 ... ice-record

There's a piece on Kamala Harris's spotty record. It doesn't really point to her being a racist "cop" so to speak as a state prosecutor, just more administrational oversights on her behalf. She was also part of the era where Democrats and Republicans both pushed for tough on crime initiatives that turned out to be a bit hasty. Stuff like war on drugs and police racism turned out to make such aggressive initiatives backfire the whole agenda. How much influence she had on that I'm not sure.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

To play Devil's Advocate, Vox was heavily on Sanders' side in the 2016 primaries, to the point like most MSM, they didn't report on his scandals. As far as I know. So maybe you shouldn't trust them?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Kamala Harris suffers from an ailment many Democrats suffer: they only believe in rights for "good" people. So if you go outside the bounds of the law, well fuck you.
Anecdotal, but a good case for how that reconciles Harris' rhetoric and legislative actions with her conduct in law enforcement: https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1 ... 1392081922

Granted, more broadly her specific hostility towards sex workers is a gigantic red flag. As a rule of thumb if you find yourself on the opposite side from sex workers you're doing something harmful or even downright evil.
(In interest of fairness this is basically the ONLY mark against Warren, who otherwise is the only candidate who's remotely been worth paying attention to so far.)
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

None of the 2020 candidates impressed me after they signed on to Sanders' feel-good healthcare bill they admitted was just for show and if had any chance of passing, they would have voted no. Because once again, as per Sanders' idiom, he didn't outline how we were going to pay for this. Why not take a stand against him and his voters? I know many centrists who felt outraged, feeling as if they were being pushed aside in favor of radical left-wing nutcases.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Oh that part's easy.

The question "how are we going to pay for it" is rhetorical bad faith. If you're asking that, it's because you just don't want to acknowledge the problem under discussion.

The secret is that the government, despite keeping track of numbers, does not actually have a budget it must adhere to. So in terms of legislation, deciding on a course of action, then finding means by which to make it work feasibly, including budget, later is the correct way to conduct things.

Put another way, we simply can't afford NOT to transition to some form of single payer system. The human and financial costs of letting the system be run by private insurance are absolutely devastating.