Democratic Primary News Thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Democratic Primary News Thread

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CmdrKing wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pmGranted, more broadly her specific hostility towards sex workers is a gigantic red flag. As a rule of thumb if you find yourself on the opposite side from sex workers you're doing something harmful or even downright evil.
(In interest of fairness this is basically the ONLY mark against Warren, who otherwise is the only candidate who's remotely been worth paying attention to so far.)
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sex-worke ... an-in-2020

Idunno, man. For taking down one website? I'm not ignoring that it led to volatile working circumstance for people, but at the least this is more one of those heavy gray areas.

I can't necessarily say that they took the right steps in stopping the illicit ads, but this was a hit on child trafficking at the same time.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The big question is, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY FOR THIS?! And I know many centrists were right to criticize that Sanders didn't offer any specifics as to how we were going to pay for this. Same way he planned to bust up the big banks. NO PLAN. Let me reiterate. Sanders tried this in Vermont, and Harris tried this in blue AF California. Both failed! If it was a solid plan, okay. But Sanders' bill was just a feel-good piece of legislation, period!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:35 am
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:04 am To play Devil's Advocate,
Hell is Full. The Devil has enough advocates. When you advocate for him, you speak with his forked tongue.
I'm not objecting to him on this basis, but you need to actually support your claims on this kind of stuff and not just resort to internet drab.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I remember the 2016 primaries. I know many voters who were on the fence about Sanders vs. Clinton, not nutcases, but his interview on how he'd "break up the big banks" scared many of them away. Lots of centrists. That's the big problem with him. He has no plans. I'm not objecting to them trying to institute single-payer. Imo, Harris is smart enough to know you gotta make compromises and if it does happen, would take years. She's tried it in her own state, and knows the way to do so, or set the ball rolling. I'm objecting to putting your name on feel-good legislation when Democrats are, theoretically at least, supposed to be better than that. Than political stunts like the GOP pulls.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

That's good and all, but it's aside from the point a bit.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 am
Hell is Full. The Devil has enough advocates. When you advocate for him, you speak with his forked tongue.
I'm not objecting to him on this basis, but you need to actually support your claims on this kind of stuff and not just resort to internet drab.
I'm really, really tired of people playing Devil's Advocate. Lucifer has plenty of advocates. Look at my sig.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 am
I'm really, really tired of people playing Devil's Advocate. Lucifer has plenty of advocates. Look at my sig.
I understand your leftist positioning on matters. It's pretty staunch, and more importantly assumedly defined.

That doesn't really leave much room for a "devil's advocate" so to speak. But that's not my position really. Now I'm not entertaining some corny market of free ideas or insinuating too strongly that you're fostering a draconian communist idealism, just that people assertively speculating doesn't have to be treated as dreary.

And this is Yuka. It's not so much of a devil's advocate, just him playing his game of "correlation to Sanders, therefore fundamentally corrupt by my own indoctrinated principle." That's not really a practiced measure of playing da.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's my dream to go more towards the center, but the center left. I still believe in leftist ideals, but I wanna temper them with reality. I mean, you gotta live in the real world. Some things I will remain unyielding on, but 2016 was a hard time that just shattered everything I believed in and left me feeling... meh. I was a hardcore leftist once, celebrating right-wingers' deaths, seeking out fights, thinking even a moderate Republican was pure evil, adopting a very regimented view, no compromise, etc... now I realize how foolish I was. Some things you should not compromise on, that's true. But in some cases you gotta pick your battles. For each person, that's going to depend on their interpretation. What frightens me is I was celebrating Scalia's death... but not Osama bin Laden's. Yeah. The man who murdered unarmed people. I literally became that extreme in a few years. I don't ever wanna be that way again. I truly believe in the ideals of, "Beat the enemy by not becoming them."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:39 am It's my dream to go more towards the center, but the center left. I still believe in leftist ideals, but I wanna temper them with reality. I mean, you gotta live in the real world. Some things I will remain unyielding on, but 2016 was a hard time that just shattered everything I believed in and left me feeling... meh. I was a hardcore leftist once, celebrating right-wingers' deaths, seeking out fights, thinking even a moderate Republican was pure evil, adopting a very regimented view, no compromise, etc... now I realize how foolish I was. Some things you should not compromise on, that's true. But in some cases you gotta pick your battles. For each person, that's going to depend on their interpretation. What frightens me is I was celebrating Scalia's death... but not Osama bin Laden's. Yeah. The man who murdered unarmed people. I literally became that extreme in a few years. I don't ever wanna be that way again. I truly believe in the ideals of, "Beat the enemy by not becoming them."
What's the underlying point of this post with consideration of what's being talked about?
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That I was very hardcore lefty, and am not now. 2016 had the effect of driving Fuzzy further left. It had the effect of driving me more towards the center. I mean, Sanders is exactly what he appears to be, the epitome of white privilege, an old career politician who knows how the game is played and has a long history of getting very little done. People think he could wave his magic wand and cooperate with the people he's alienated, or think he's somehow pure and above it because he refuses to compromise, when no, that's WHY he's never gotten anything done. Sanders is an old Washington dog. And I wouldn't be so upset about this if there weren't a few factors. One, his cult kept insisting that he somehow is ideologically pure, which is the definition of how the Tea Party thinks, but on the left. Two, his own views on women disgust me. Three, is that after sabotaging Clinton in 2016, he's running to the party he hates and does not belong to again. I know many centrists who think the DNC is catering too much to him. That's my feeling as well. We need a better champion to take us in a more left-ward direction, if that is what the Democratic leadership wants. But they're too desperate to try and "heal" any wounds that remain after 2016 to the point that, they're alienating those in the center. Those they need. Because they don't see that to do that, they gotta kick him out. The same way Clinton has refused to run again. Sanders is. I know many centrists who are sending money directly to candidates and not the DNC. It's why they're suffering a massive fundraising shortage. Sanders is only doing this to stuff more money in his pocket, plain and simple. Yet the media continues putting their spin on this. Claiming, "Will bad blood between Clinton and Sanders doom him?" Yeah, that's what they claim. Not that they failed to cover his myriad scandals to the degree "emails, emails, emails, EMAILS" got, which in many cases were worse, not that we have legitimate reasons to be angry. It puts a slant on this whole affair and victim-blames. It's not our fault they resorted to the worst case of yellow journalism since the Spanish-American War. He is one of a few people in the world I can't wait to see pass away. He did huge damage to our chances in 2016, and he's out to sabotage the Democrats again. Is that so shocking? He's not a Democrat. He HATES Democrats. He's bashed our party for years.