DS9 - The House of Quark

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
J!!
Captain

Re: DS9 - The House of Quark

Post by J!! »

jlb21821 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 pm One thing that iv'e never understood is that TNG established that women cant be on the high council and to some extant the right of Klingon women in this episode seem to be restricted. However this does not coincide with the fact that not to long before this Azethbur was chancellor after Gorkon was killed. So a woman can be chancellor, but not a council member?
the answer is that star trek has always played very fast & loose with its continuity. despite what the continuity fetishists will tell you, this is ultimately for the best, as it allows the franchise to have a great deal more freedom & flexibility with its storytelling. it's different when you have a work that's planned out ahead of time & under the control of a single author, but star trek's had so many different writers over the years, mostly just making things up as they went along, that it would be impossible to keep it all internally consistent whilst also putting out coherent stories.

at some point you have to just accept that it's a tv show, it's never gonna be as perfect as you might like. people who fixate on nitpicking all the little details only ruin the fun for themselves.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yes, but that's no reason not to try!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:46 pm Yes, but that's no reason not to try!
This.

Also, there's a big difference between contradicting something because it allows for a compelling story, and just being lazy and not caring.

Trek has instances of both.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's the modern approach under Kurtzman, damn him.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

To add a random detail, I really liked the ending of this episode where Rom asks to hear Quark tell his story again. Their relationship is sometimes confrontational, but it's clear that he's mostly just asking because it makes Quark happy to tell his little story.

It does makes it annoying when Quark continues to treat Rom like trash in future episodes, though.
DisgruntleFairy
Redshirt

Post by DisgruntleFairy »

Trinary wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:13 pm The only explanation that I'm aware of came from the The Lost Era novel, "The Art of the Impossible." It's said that after Azetbur died, a reactionary (no, seriously, that's what even other Klingons called him) named Kaarg became Chancellor and he decreed women could not be Chancellor or serve on the High Council. And ... that was that, I guess. I know, it's a lame explanation.

If you wanted to, maybe you could say that as much as the Klingon Empire needed the Federation alliance, they still resented it. The fact that it came about under Azetbur, a woman, maybe did a lot to sour influential Klingons against female leaders.
Given the relationship that Klingons have with history that we saw "You Are Cordially Invited" (ds9 6x7). Its entirely possible something like that happened and was then wiped from history.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've seen this speculated on other boards, so... my question is, did they read those novels? LOL. When was it "The Art of the Impossible" released?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

bronnt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 am To add a random detail, I really liked the ending of this episode where Rom asks to hear Quark tell his story again. Their relationship is sometimes confrontational, but it's clear that he's mostly just asking because it makes Quark happy to tell his little story.

It does makes it annoying when Quark continues to treat Rom like trash in future episodes, though.
No I think Rom just gets into the moment like that. He looks up to Quark like a big brother.
..What mirror universe?
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:52 am
bronnt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 am To add a random detail, I really liked the ending of this episode where Rom asks to hear Quark tell his story again. Their relationship is sometimes confrontational, but it's clear that he's mostly just asking because it makes Quark happy to tell his little story.

No I think Rom just gets into the moment like that. He looks up to Quark like a big brother.

... I thought Quark was Rom's brother :?:
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Wargriffin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:13 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:52 am

... I thought Quark was Rom's brother :?:
I don't remember if he's his big brother though :].

What's significant is the sentiment I'm signifying.
..What mirror universe?