Avengers: Endgame

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Avengers: Endgame

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I didn't get how the time travel was supposed to work. I mean I didn't get how it was supposed to be different from any of the other movies we've seen involving time travel as per their explanation, "the past you travel to is your future."
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 pmOn the other hand though, I can only rate four non-Marvel Marvel films as films that I think are great: X-Men 1, Logan, and the first two Maguire Spiderman films. The rest are meh to awful.
Counter-point: Dredd.

Also, both the Thomas Jane and the Ray Stevenson Punisher movies are really good and everything that isn't that good about these two, could have been fixed by a higher budget.

Also also: Sin City, 300 and Rise of an Empire. True comic book movies and they are glorious.
Last edited by Madner Kami on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Was Blade that meh?
..What mirror universe?
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am I didn't get how the time travel was supposed to work. I mean I didn't get how it was supposed to be different from any of the other movies we've seen involving time travel as per their explanation, "the past you travel to is your future."
According to the screenwriters it was a time loop and didn't changed the timeline at all. So in away it's different from time travel stories like Back to the Future where one thing changed in the past can changed the present.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

cilantro wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:00 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am I didn't get how the time travel was supposed to work. I mean I didn't get how it was supposed to be different from any of the other movies we've seen involving time travel as per their explanation, "the past you travel to is your future."
According to the screenwriters it was a time loop and didn't changed the timeline at all. So in away it's different from time travel stories like Back to the Future where one thing changed in the past can changed the present.
Right. It seems like they went into a different continuity and just snatched the stones out of that, and of course brought them back.

If that's being the case, Loki's new show is going to be based on that separate continuity, I'm pretty sure that was confirmed by people involved in it or the movie. I mean I guess I just didn't get what they're saying that the past becomes the future. It's more like, "a separate doppelganger past now becomes your present (where one is when they time travel) and when you leave it then it stays where it was and you just come back to your own reality."
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:48 am Was Blade that meh?
Blade came out when vampires not zombies were the craze so that helped a lot. A think it comes down to whether you experienced it at the time or not, because now it comes off as being VERY late nineties. The black coat and sunglasses that was in so many films back then, the early CGI that no modern kid could love etc.

And I would imagine that Blade 3 has sullied it in the minds of many. And I say that because the Matrix sequels really harmed my appreciation of the first for the better part of a decade.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Well that's one way to do it. Alternative time line or alternative universe if you will like comic books tend to do. Granted Marvel hasn't done it as much as DC has but they have done it as well.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:53 am
Well that's one way to do it. Alternative time line or alternative universe if you will like comic books tend to do. Granted Marvel hasn't done it as much as DC has but they have done it as well.
"Marvel hasn't done it as much"? Are you kidding me? Marvel has over a THOUSAND alternate timelines, with numbers and everything. Even the MCU itself is considered part of the wider Marvel multiverse. And alternate universes in Marvel are often created by time-travel shenanigans. The main Marvel verse is just universe 616.

If anything, kudos to them for being consistent with the comics.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:22 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:53 am
"Marvel hasn't done it as much"? Are you kidding me? Marvel has over a THOUSAND alternate timelines, with numbers and everything. Even the MCU itself is considered part of the wider Marvel multiverse. And alternate universes in Marvel are often created by time-travel shenanigans. The main Marvel verse is just universe 616.

If anything, kudos to them for being consistent with the comics.
True. I was thinking on lines of pre-Crisis DC universe were there were pretty much almost unlimited number of alternative universes or when they had 52 alternative universes.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am

Right. It seems like they went into a different continuity and just snatched the stones out of that, and of course brought them back.

If that's being the case, Loki's new show is going to be based on that separate continuity, I'm pretty sure that was confirmed by people involved in it or the movie. I mean I guess I just didn't get what they're saying that the past becomes the future. It's more like, "a separate doppelganger past now becomes your present (where one is when they time travel) and when you leave it then it stays where it was and you just come back to your own reality."
I thought that they mentioned that it wasn't a new continuity but a time loop. Meaning that they stayed within the same universe (Earth-199999) throughout the film? Also, I would assume that the Loki show would be just Loki going on a time traviling experence, sort of like Dr. Who, and then at the end being captured by Thor (to fill fulled that ending scene of The Avengers)?