Avengers: Endgame

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Avengers: Endgame

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

cilantro wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:56 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am
cilantro wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:00 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am I didn't get how the time travel was supposed to work. I mean I didn't get how it was supposed to be different from any of the other movies we've seen involving time travel as per their explanation, "the past you travel to is your future."
According to the screenwriters it was a time loop and didn't changed the timeline at all. So in away it's different from time travel stories like Back to the Future where one thing changed in the past can changed the present.

Right. It seems like they went into a different continuity and just snatched the stones out of that, and of course brought them back.

If that's being the case, Loki's new show is going to be based on that separate continuity, I'm pretty sure that was confirmed by people involved in it or the movie. I mean I guess I just didn't get what they're saying that the past becomes the future. It's more like, "a separate doppelganger past now becomes your present (where one is when they time travel) and when you leave it then it stays where it was and you just come back to your own reality."
I thought that they mentioned that it wasn't a new continuity but a time loop. Meaning that they stayed within the same universe (Earth-199999) throughout the film? Also, I would assume that the Loki show would be just Loki going on a time traviling experence, sort of like Dr. Who, and then at the end being captured by Thor (to fill fulled that ending scene of The Avengers)?
Yeah maybe I got it wrong. So Loki just goes on a time traveling spree between movies or something? I'm not 100% on the chronology before Age of Ultron.

So the thing about changes in the past not affecting the timeline/present?
..What mirror universe?
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:58 pm
cilantro wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:56 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am
cilantro wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:00 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am I didn't get how the time travel was supposed to work. I mean I didn't get how it was supposed to be different from any of the other movies we've seen involving time travel as per their explanation, "the past you travel to is your future."
According to the screenwriters it was a time loop and didn't changed the timeline at all. So in away it's different from time travel stories like Back to the Future where one thing changed in the past can changed the present.

Right. It seems like they went into a different continuity and just snatched the stones out of that, and of course brought them back.

If that's being the case, Loki's new show is going to be based on that separate continuity, I'm pretty sure that was confirmed by people involved in it or the movie. I mean I guess I just didn't get what they're saying that the past becomes the future. It's more like, "a separate doppelganger past now becomes your present (where one is when they time travel) and when you leave it then it stays where it was and you just come back to your own reality."
I thought that they mentioned that it wasn't a new continuity but a time loop. Meaning that they stayed within the same universe (Earth-199999) throughout the film? Also, I would assume that the Loki show would be just Loki going on a time traviling experence, sort of like Dr. Who, and then at the end being captured by Thor (to fill fulled that ending scene of The Avengers)?
Yeah maybe I got it wrong. So Loki just goes on a time traveling spree between movies or something? I'm not 100% on the chronology before Age of Ultron.

So the thing about changes in the past not affecting the timeline/present?
Well from the quotes from the screenwriters that is what they thought they wrote. The past isn't changed at all and Cap was just in a time loop. Meaning that nothing was changed. I guess it does make sense because I thought that Tony was remembering his heart attack in The Avengers (you know the one that was caused by Ant-Man so they can steal the Space Stone). Also, how can Loki even have a time-traveling experience with using only the Space Stone? Wouldn't he need the TIme Stone for that one?

Edit:

But I thought that the whole premise of the upcoming Loki Series was him being at critical moments in history and that it was more or less something to do with time travel?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Oh right. Cap stays in the past and he ends up in the present timeline anyway. I'm really not sure what a classification of time loop is supposed to entail specifically, but it seems that with generally any time traveling movie you have changes in the past having implication on the present. Given that they returned all the stones to their respective temporal moments, there wasn't much worry for implicative temporal interaction. Not sure why I was really confused about it, but the way they went out of their way to explain how it works along with the fact that they brought up Back to the Future etc... just seemed superfluous for exposition.
..What mirror universe?