DS9 - The House of Quark

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: DS9 - The House of Quark

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Poipoi wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:15 pm I'n surprised they haven't renamed Earth to " Hum " for humanity. lol
They have. "Terra" for "Terrans".
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

or "Earth" for "Earthlings"
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:23 pm My fanon is that the Vulcan exiles stopped by Earth in their search for a new home and came across the Romans, who they greatly admired, and adopted some names for themselves in honor of. :D
I'll buy it.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:09 pm Star Trek's planet names are crap in general. Kling for Klingons, Vulcan for Vulcans, Romulus for Romulans, Andoria for Andorians etc.

Should someone tell them that we don't live on the planet Human?
Yeah but are those the names they have for themselves? Or just the names our ancient astrologers gave them that thus stick? Or what the universal translators run them through?

Sort of a Nippon/Japan thing.
I'd take it as variations of the indigenous names or ones that were inherited and changed over time.

That's the neat thing with exonyms I like and it annoys me that there's the push to use native names that is itself applied spottily (Recent use of Mumbai and other renamings around the world compared to the continued use of Germany, Warsaw, Moscow - I use the former just as I use Bombay and Danzig.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Beastro wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:34 pm That's the neat thing with exonyms I like and it annoys me that there's the push to use native names that is itself applied spottily (Recent use of Mumbai and other renamings around the world compared to the continued use of Germany, Warsaw, Moscow - I use the former just as I use Bombay and Danzig.
It gets complicated.

There are some simple ones - complaining about people using a direct translation is ludicrous IMO (so I have no problem with the French calling the United Kingdom le Royaume-Uni). Then there are some which I believe are just a better transliteration - Peking to Beijing for example (is Bombay - Mumbai one of those?). That makes sense. The ones in the middle, that's where it gets subjective.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:45 pmThe ones in the middle, that's where it gets subjective.
There's also those where names have no equivalency, like the various political renamings that have gone on. A good example would be Tsaritsyn's renaming to Stalingrad, then the renaming to the innocuous de-Stalinized but non-monarchist Volgograd which has remained. For me, it's Tsaritsyn generically outside of the specific use of Stalingrad pertaining to the fighting around it in WWII.
(so I have no problem with the French calling the United Kingdom le Royaume-Uni).
But the colloquial use of Angleterre?

As much as I take after my British side I always find it amusing to see Brits annoyed about that one given the predominance of England within the Union (Same with Holland and the United Provinces).
Riedquat wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:45 pmThen there are some which I believe are just a better transliteration - Peking to Beijing for example (is Bombay - Mumbai one of those?)
For me that runs into how long it was used and how predominantly. In that case Wade-Giles casts a shadow over me so I go with that, especially when it comes to era-specific things, like the annoying lack of it's use in games like Victoria 2 where it would be appropriate given the era (Canton, Tsingtao, Tientsin and the various other prominent concession cities get a renaming whenever it's freshly installed, others as they cross my path).

Another example of that in the west is the Italian city of Livorno, which was known for centuries to the English as Leghorn which is fine by me.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Beastro wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:36 am
(so I have no problem with the French calling the United Kingdom le Royaume-Uni).
But the colloquial use of Angleterre?

As much as I take after my British side I always find it amusing to see Brits annoyed about that one given the predominance of England within the Union (Same with Holland and the United Provinces).
Angleterre for the whole of the UK? That annoys me a bit (and would probably do a lot more if I wasn't English!) Unlike some of the others it's just plain incorrect, as is using Holland to refer to the whole of The Netherlands.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

We Germans generally refer to the UK as "Die Engländer" (the English). Post BrExit-referendum, I find that rather funny, given an "Engländer" is also a(n adjustable) spanner in the german language. :P
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:56 pmI find that rather funny, given an "Engländer" is also a(n adjustable) spanner in the german language. :P
Not catching the irony on this end.
..What mirror universe?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:54 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:56 pmI find that rather funny, given an "Engländer" is also a(n adjustable) spanner in the german language. :P
Not catching the irony on this end.
"Spanner", in English English is a colloquial insult for a useless dimwit. So Engländers are a bunch of Engländers over Brexit.