What video games are you playing?

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Admiral X
Captain

Re: What video games are you playing?

Post by Admiral X »

I got Halo 2 to work on my Windows 7 machine. All I did as far as I can remember is switching over to compatibility mode in the properties.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I have no idea how to do that.
The graphics hardware on this computer is not supported for use with Halo 2 for Windows Vista.

Your computer's graphics hardware information:

Video memory: 64 Megabytes (128 or higher required)
Supported pixel shader version: 3 (2 or higher required)
Supported vertex shader version: 3 (2 or higher required)

Halo 2 for Windows Vista is designed for computers running Microsoft Windows Vista with an overall Windows Experience Index of 5 or higher.

Please click the link below for more information on the requirements for running Halo 2 for Windows Vista.

To view this computer's performance information:
Click Start, Control Panel, System and Maintenance, and Performance Information and Tools.
And yet it seems fine. It just insists I need a Games For Windows Live profile, whatever that is, but trying to create one seems impossible.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:12 am I got Halo 2 to work on my Windows 7 machine. All I did as far as I can remember is switching over to compatibility mode in the properties.
It works on a pc?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 pm
Admiral X wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:12 am I got Halo 2 to work on my Windows 7 machine. All I did as far as I can remember is switching over to compatibility mode in the properties.
It works on a pc?
Why wouldn't it? It was released for PC and XBox.
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:17 amWindows Vista.

Your computer's graphics hardware information:

Video memory: 64 Megabytes (128 or higher required)
Supported pixel shader version: 3 (2 or higher required)
Supported vertex shader version: 3 (2 or higher required)
Wait... What? How old is your computer? I was about to offer gifting StarCraft 2 + All the Expansions/Campaigns to you, but your computer wouldn't even be able to run it... Like, at all. Sorry.

I can still set you up with a few things I have a code for lying about and that you should be able to run, plus KoToR on GoG.com, namely:
  • Xenonauts (a turn based, research and base-building tactical strategy game; it's basically a remake of the original X-Com)
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (mostly a platformer, with some really wierd comedy)
  • Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition (so it's Neverwinter Nights with all the expansions; do I really have to explain what Neverwinter Nights is/was?)
  • Little Big Adventure 2 - Twinsen's Odyssey (it's... old. but gold)
  • Age of Wonders (basically like Heroes of Might and Magic, with a few twists and tweaks here and there)
GoG.com also offers some Goldies for free, like
  • Beneath a Steel Sky (an old-school adventure)
  • Lure of the Temptress (same, though not as good as Beneath a Steel Sky, which is a must-play imo)
  • Flight of the Amazon Queen (a funny adventure)
  • Jill of the Jungle (a really old somewhat puzzleish platformer)
  • Tyrian 2000 (a really gold Shoot'em'up)
  • BIo Menace (think original Duke Nukem with some extra bits and bobs)
  • Cayne (a more modern horror adventure)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:11 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 pm
It works on a pc?
Why wouldn't it? It was released for PC and XBox.
Yeah, but don't the controls suck?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Why would they? PC Masterrace. Mouse and Keyboard beats Gamepad in 9 out of 10 cases, especially in shooters.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think I have a Steam account, but haven't run it in years.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I sometimes feel, that you are not really reading what I write -.-
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, what is GoG.com?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

GOG.com (formerly Good Old Games) is a digital distribution platform for video games and films. It is operated by GOG Sp. z o.o., a wholly owned subsidiary of CD Projekt based in Warsaw, Poland.[2][3] GOG.com delivers DRM-free video games through its digital platform for Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux. In March 2012, it began selling more recent titles such as Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed and the Metro Redux series, among many others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOG.com

It's basically like Steam, except for having ethics, no DRM (if it can be avoided) and thus being more picky with the titles available and none of the asset-flip-selling BS.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox