Democratic Primary News Thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Democratic Primary News Thread

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:20 pmSo you changed what you mean from seeing a woman president to seeing a woman president that serves for 8 years? And it's somehow more miraculous that she gets voted for in doing so?

Ironic about that last part is that I'm pretty sure you've been of the mind to post that you should probably just vote for HRC etc.. solely because they're a woman.

And what are you talking about with a pendulum? Every DNC president in the last 30 years has served their maximum term allowance.
He's just looking for something to feel bad about. Don't bother.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

No, that's not the case. I'm powerless to change stupid people nominating a man who will just hand the role to a woman to be the "token" woman, and I can't stop it, but it's probably inevitable. I do know in the wake of Trump, choosing a woman to be in a secondary "support" role is a bad idea. It's more of the same sexist garbage, but with that said, I'm fine with a male nominee. I just don't want a female VP as his running mate. No way. It's just wrong.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And by "pendulum," I mean how we had 12 years of the GOP, then eight years of a Democrat, then another eight years of a Republican President, and then another eight years of a Democrat. It seems to be coming in cycles now.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:29 pm And by "pendulum," I mean how we had 12 years of the GOP, then eight years of a Democrat, then another eight years of a Republican President, and then another eight years of a Democrat. It seems to be coming in cycles now.
That's not the pendulum at all. That was one time that the republican party got a third term.
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:28 pm No, that's not the case. I'm powerless to change stupid people nominating a man who will just hand the role to a woman to be the "token" woman, and I can't stop it, but it's probably inevitable. I do know in the wake of Trump, choosing a woman to be in a secondary "support" role is a bad idea. It's more of the same sexist garbage, but with that said, I'm fine with a male nominee. I just don't want a female VP as his running mate. No way. It's just wrong.
What the hell? You're talking about voting for a woman president just on the basis that she's a woman. That's no different than a man handing over the presidency.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

No, I'm saying choosing a female Vice-President before we've had a proper female President is risky, because if you're in essence saying, "You're good enough to succeed me if I die or resign," then that's enough confidence to say she can be President, but... it's a man doing this, and he has the top job, so if that's the case, why shouldn't she get the top job? That's why I call it tokenism. I want a qualified woman to reach the White House on HER terms, no one else's past the voters.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

There's also every possibility he might die or resign. And then we'd be stuck with the token female President. That, and we'd have to wait even longer to see it done right.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:26 pmHe's just looking for something to feel bad about. Don't bother.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It's always been the Feminist's dream to have a woman win the White House through being chosen by the voters, shatter that glass ceiling with a big, loud roar of empowerment for all women and girls out there. But with a man just handing her the VP role, which is in essence the second President, it's very problematic because the potential for that dream disappears. And because we've never HAD a female President, people really can't seem to decide what the qualifications should be, because we're just such disgustingly superficial creatures. And people get so damned hysterical about this. It's why I don't think we'll ever get a qualified woman legitimately elected by the people and not handpicked by a man until... very late in this century, probably.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@Madner Kami My feelings are valid. Like King, I have a dream, as I explained above, and every year, with people acting more and more stupid, and just the general trend in the way I see things going, I don't think that dream has any chance at reality. Not anymore.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm not "looking for things to feel bad about," my mom started this whole damned thing this morning by dragging politics into my room despite my attempt to avoid it, and so I needed someplace to go to discuss it, because I've been having anxiety attacks over this since despite my best efforts to try not to care, I DO care, but I have to make sure to suppress that or it will overwhelm me like it did in early 2015 all the way through to 2016. I mean, you guys may have problems over there, but I'm a bit jealous. You at least got a female Chancellor that will help pave the way for great women's rights discussions, from the country that once elected Hitler no less, and we can't even get one female President in all that time. Or at least possibly not without a man handing it to her. What does that say about us? About our values as a society? It's why I don't feel very patriotic anymore, or particularly proud of my country.