5ive Days to Midnight

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
bronnt
Officer

Re: 5ive Days to Midnight

Post by bronnt »

aceina wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:56 am hell you could build a series out of that some one gets stuff from the future and tries to change peoples fates
That show existed, it was called "Early Edition," from the mid-90s. It was about a guy who would get tomorrow's newspaper.

I barely remember that show.
Killerbee256
Redshirt

Post by Killerbee256 »

bronnt wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:55 am
aceina wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:56 am hell you could build a series out of that some one gets stuff from the future and tries to change peoples fates
That show existed, it was called "Early Edition," from the mid-90s. It was about a guy who would get tomorrow's newspaper.

A mystic cat brought the guy the next days paper and he tried to fix things, another similar show was true calling.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

aceina wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:56 am im not a fan of the end of part 3 with that woman dieing

as it means 1 of 2 things

either

1. fate cant be changed and the entire story is pointless

2. only our protagonist gets to change his fate

i hate both of those as him saving her was legit the only good scene IMO

hell you could build a series out of that some one gets stuff from the future and tries to change peoples fates
I agree, I feel the same way. It's a lousy death for a character that seems to have been a nice person, and feels like it's only happened for the purpose of escalating the threat and undermining the main character's source of hope from this part. Your two options spell out the problem well.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Ok, I have not seen this series, had not even heard of it until Chuck started reviewing it. And I only just started watching part 3, been behind on the Patreon advanced viewings lately. And also, I have not read this thread. That said, something I can't help but wonder in a situation like this. If you know because of prophecy or time travel information about the future, that you are going to die at X date in Y location, why not just make damn sure you are no where near Y location at X date? It doesn't matter who, if they can't find you. Take his daughter, tell her impromptu family trip, get the hell out of town. Be several thousand miles from where you are supposed to die.

Edit: Never mind, turns out he actually does try that. Me, I wouldn't have bothered with the plane, though. I'd have gotten in my car, and gone for a road trip.
Killerbee256
Redshirt

Post by Killerbee256 »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:10 am
aceina wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:56 am im not a fan of the end of part 3 with that woman dieing

as it means 1 of 2 things

either

1. fate cant be changed and the entire story is pointless

2. only our protagonist gets to change his fate

i hate both of those as him saving her was legit the only good scene IMO

hell you could build a series out of that some one gets stuff from the future and tries to change peoples fates
I agree, I feel the same way. It's a lousy death for a character that seems to have been a nice person, and feels like it's only happened for the purpose of escalating the threat and undermining the main character's source of hope from this part. Your two options spell out the problem well.
I get the feeling the main charactor's nutty student murdered her to "save the timeline."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BunBun299 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 am Ok, I have not seen this series, had not even heard of it until Chuck started reviewing it. And I only just started watching part 3, been behind on the Patreon advanced viewings lately. And also, I have not read this thread. That said, something I can't help but wonder in a situation like this. If you know because of prophecy or time travel information about the future, that you are going to die at X date in Y location, why not just make damn sure you are no where near Y location at X date? It doesn't matter who, if they can't find you. Take his daughter, tell her impromptu family trip, get the hell out of town. Be several thousand miles from where you are supposed to die.

Edit: Never mind, turns out he actually does try that. Me, I wouldn't have bothered with the plane, though. I'd have gotten in my car, and gone for a road trip.
So far, the show is obviously taking the strategy of "everything he does to avoid the fate is all part of the string of events that lead him to being in exactly that place".
Strejdaking
Redshirt

Post by Strejdaking »

Chuck makes a good point about how avoiding your death in this case wouldn't automatically save you. Has there been a story like that? A character manages to prevent their fate, but now they have to deal with what caused it without a heads up?

Anyway, the guy's daughter is definitely the one who sent him that briefcase from the future.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Strejdaking wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:06 pm Chuck makes a good point about how avoiding your death in this case wouldn't automatically save you. Has there been a story like that? A character manages to prevent their fate, but now they have to deal with what caused it without a heads up?

Anyway, the guy's daughter is definitely the one who sent him that briefcase from the future.
I think we got something kinds like that in happy death day.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I won't spoil but the attempted killer isn't who I thought it was.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Killerbee256 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:42 am
bronnt wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:55 am

A mystic cat brought the guy the next days paper and he tried to fix things, another similar show was true calling.
Ah, that's some good nostalgia. I don't remember a lot of the details, but I do remember watching that show with my dad as a kid.

By the way, I just saw a trailer for a movie called "Don't Let Go", and it immediately reminded me of 5 Days to Midnight. Instead though it's about a cop whose niece is murdered, but somehow he's able to talk to her on the phone a few weeks before the murder. Similar concepts, but from the trailer the movie really dials up the tension.