Nazis and the Nature of Evil

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Nazis and the Nature of Evil

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 pm @Dragon Ball Fan Did you know, again, I'll cite this to you specifically, the Soviet soldiers, when they weren't drinking, taking turns in trains raping women and girls, and just generally stealing whatever they could, would pet their horses, coo to them, and showed them a lot more respect than they did to the lives they left permanently ruined? Serial rapists/killers in today's society have pets they adore to death, yet treat humans like trash, or meat, or slime, or shit. It's not uncommon, dude, for evil people, even sickeningly evil people who have crossed the line so far they've gone into another galaxy, to have redeeming qualities. That's human nature.
no, I'm sorry but even after everything you guys have said, I just cannot accept that. the idea of selective kindness or not showing other humans/living things respect is alien to me.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Human beings have that kind of an alien disconnect from one another, from the individual level to the collective level to how we treat other species.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:10 pm Human beings have that kind of an alien disconnect from one another, from the individual level to the collective level to how we treat other species.
not how I or those close to me do it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

If it helps, certain schools of psychology agree with you, thinking our society in recent times has been slowly being divided between the psychopath human and the normal people. Or something like that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Again, this is the most low of hanging fruit subject for the topic of immorality.
..What mirror universe?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

I just still can't wrap my head around it. but also, I take back describing the Albert Fish murder in cartoon villain ways, I should have said something like he described the murder in sickening detail and appeared to be both proud and aroused by it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, there is something similar on TV Tropes. "Good Cannot Comprehend Evil" and "Evil Cannot Comprehend Good." SF Debris has discussed this at length as to the disconnect of human brain functions. He brought up vore, how much it disgusts him, and how he could never understand that mindset. He doesn't pass judgment on it, but he doesn't understand it. And I can relate, and this is a voraphile saying that. In that instance, true empathy is impossible. He said "you might as well be from different planets." I think it's less "good versus evil" and more having a hard time understanding radically opposed mindsets past the similarities we all share. Also, it's been said for criminal investigations to catch a criminal, you gotta get inside his head, think like him, and thus you need to have a little larceny in you. Maybe it's just harder for you because you're a lot nicer than I am. See, I can get into a criminal's head because I've been tempted to do evil, even for the right reasons, but I never do. Does that help?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:39 pm I just still can't wrap my head around it. but also, I take back describing the Albert Fish murder in cartoon villain ways, I should have said something like he described the murder in sickening detail and appeared to be both proud and aroused by it.
You're fixating on the morality of it quite a bit (not to come down on you really, just continuing my issue with this topic)... but to me it's just a matter of objectification. Very widespread and common and downright pathological with a lot of people. It's more rare to be someone that emphasizes sympathy than to be a normal person that has a history of objectifying someone to a considerable degree. The sadism aside, Hitler is historically the worst person we consider on that spectrum, albeit with a lot of respect to the context. We don't measure his actions indiscriminately though, we look at him with the lens of oppression as it applies to all known socially dynamic landscapes.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I dunno, a lot of people like to sympathize with these past monsters, and demonize their victims. It still happens today. That's mostly political, sure, but at the same time, I've seen it happen.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:39 pm I just still can't wrap my head around it. but also, I take back describing the Albert Fish murder in cartoon villain ways, I should have said something like he described the murder in sickening detail and appeared to be both proud and aroused by it.
You're fixating on the morality of it quite a bit (not to come down on you really, just continuing my issue with this topic)... but to me it's just a matter of objectification. Very widespread and common and downright pathological with a lot of people. It's more rare to be someone that emphasizes sympathy than to be a normal person that has a history of objectifying someone to a considerable degree. The sadism aside, Hitler is historically the worst person we consider on that spectrum, albeit with a lot of respect to the context. We don't measure his actions indiscriminately though, we look at him with the lens of oppression as it applies to all known socially dynamic landscapes.
It's really interesting that we consider Hitler to be worst person in history over every other historical person who is also considered "evil". Maybe it's because Hitler lived during 20th century and during his reign he and other Nazis were horrible people as well as had started WWII. So that it's still relatively recent with there still being some people alive that were already around back then as well that time being well known to even those of us that had been born decades later and even to Americans that usually only care about they own country's history thanks to them having had major part to play and Hollywood still making movies about that time. Then again Stalin was also equally bad but we don't regard him as bad as Hitler because he was on side of winners with his Soviet Union having had played major part in ending WWII destroying Hitler's Third Reich.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard